First things first… These aren’t recommended picnic fare. You see, I brought them to work on this tray and popped them in a cooler for the morning and when they got to the picnic they were a hot mess. I’m talkin’ not cute. Rumor has it someone set something on them? I would like to thank my close work friends for at least trying these jerks (and liking them even!) despite their messed up demeanor.
So anyhow! I love French Silk Pie, but next time I’ll bring cookies or Blueberry Crumble Bars to a picnic. I’ll save these for a dinner party, a winter party, an indoor party. BUT it doesn’t change the fact that these are all about the crust. I did half oreo and half graham cracker. And they’re skinny guys so if you want them taller, double up the filling or make them in a 9×13 pan instead of a baking sheet.
French Silk Pie Bars
Recipe adapted from my fave
oreo crust -
- 16-20 Oreos, crushed to crumbs in a food processor
- 4 T butter, melted
graham cracker crust –
- 1 package graham crackers
- 4 T butter, melted
french silk -
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 large eggs
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips
- whipped cream, optional
- Make Oreo crust by mixing the crumbs with the butter and pressing onto half of a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Make graham cracker crust by mixing the crumbs with the butter and pressing on the other half of the baking sheet. Bake in a 350F oven for 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- Using an electric mixer cream the butter. Slowly add sugar and whip until smooth.
- Blend in chocolate until mixed evenly.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating 5 minutes after each; this is a must! (Skimping on the time will have runny results. It may induce tears.) Add vanilla and mix until combined, scraping the sides.
- Pour over pie crust in the prepared bread pan, and smooth to cover the whole crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- In the morning, top with whipped cream and slice into squares. Enjoy!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
P.S. Whoa. Maybe I need to switch up my photo style? Shoes. Shoes. Shoes.