I get weird in the heat. It’s right up there with being hungry. If I get too toasty I will surely stop talking and most likely get sassy about it. If I join you for a patio lunch, just save me a spot in the shade will you?
On the other hand, this is a picnic dessert for real. It doesn’t bother getting weird in the heat. So bring it to your next bbq or take it to the park. It won’t get sassy. And check out those lemons up there. They make these bars zesty on top of being crumby (in a good way). So get these in your belly before crabbiness from hunger strikes!
Blueberry Crumb Bars
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
crumby goodness –
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 t salt
- zest of 1 lemon
berry mixture –
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 t cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9×13 inch pan. (I lined mine with foil and then greased that for easy removal later on.)
- Make the crumby goodness. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- Make berry mixture. In another bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle berry mixture over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares. I stored mine in the fridge for awhile to hurry up the cooling process.
Doilies are the new napkins.