Don’t bother asking for a bite of my meal. Really, don’t bother. Especially when I’m eating a meal as delicious as this. It’s just not going to happen.
I can’t wait to make this again on a freezing cold day. I’ll eat it in my frumpy fleece and yoga pants, and not even care.
This beef stew is amazing. Jake and I both wanted to lick the bowls, and both agreed that the flavorful thick broth was the very best part. And my love for corn bread is old news.
“Lick the Bowl” Beef Stew
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light and Tyler Florence
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 T butter, divided
- 1 pound baby button mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 6 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 t thyme
- sprinkling of cinnamon
- sprinkling of allspice
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil and two tablespoons of butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and saute for 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Spoon mushrooms into a large bowl. Add onion; saute 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add onion mixture to mushrooms.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Dredge beef in flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining oil and butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef mixture; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add browned beef to mushroom mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining beef, sprinkling again with salt and pepper. Removing again and setting aside.
- Measure out wine and balsamic vinegar and add to the Dutch oven, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth, thyme, bay leaves, cinnamon and allspice and bring to a boil. Stir in beef mixture (mushrooms, onion, garlic and beef) to the pan. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for an hour.
- Stir in potato and carrot. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour and fifteen minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce is thick, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves. Eat with corn bread!
Easy Corn Bread
Recipe from Quaker
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8 or 9 inch pan.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, corn meal, sugar and baking powder).
- Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing until until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until light gold brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with beef stew.
And here is Elliot being ever-s0-hopeful about cornbread.
4 thoughts on ““Lick the Bowl” Beef Stew + Easy Corn Bread”