I’ve been listening to Halo by Beyonce lately because of that part in Girls where Hannah does the dance from the video. I’ve been sleeping in as late as possible before work. I’ve paid too much attention to my snooze button. I’ve worn hot pink pants, and called my mom because I miss her. And I’ve made you guys this cornbread. I sprinkled it with giant sweet blueberries* and crumbled goat cheese. I’ve eaten it for breakfast, and snacks.
*I impulsively bought 2 lbs. of the berries at Trader Joe’s.
The maple syrup subtly makes this cornbread a breakfast dream. Although, I personally think this would be an awesome thing to bring to a BBQ. The star of the sides! The king of the cornbreads!
P.S. This polka-dotted stuff might steal the thunder from the smokey meats and such. So, beware, it could cause trouble of the delicious variety, but come on… it’s not like those grilled things are getting married and this cornbread wore white to the BBQ, right?
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 2 T sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt (optional)
- 2 T maple syrup (or honey!)
- 1 cup milk – 2 T
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- a handful of blueberries
- 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease and 8 or 9 inch pan.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, corn meal, sugar and baking powder).
- Place maple syrup in a 2 cup measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup mark with milk. Whisk in oil and egg. Stir into the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with blueberries and crumbled goat cheese.
- Bake 20-25+ minutes or until light gold brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
YAY! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.