How’d you spend your weekend? I spent mine cutting a sizable zucchini into burger patties, going to a dance-y music yoga class (They played Mariah Carey Fantasy last week!) and livin’ my life watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. (Ugh, Walt is the worst.) You see, I like for my Saturdays to include a morning walk ending in a bagel picnic and for my lunch to be one worth dropping the L-bomb about. Because, the truth is, I just really love these. They’re a summer veggie remix to the chicken variety. It’s summer! So lettuce use up all the zucchini, ok?
I toasted up some of King’s Hawaiian rolls to serve these guys on. They’re perfectly soft and tasty and a touch sweet! Kinda my fave combo. I also submitted this lil sandwich in the Ultimate King’s Hawaiian Sandwich Challenge! You should submit your dream-wich right too! I bet you’ll win! (Submit it right here.)
P.S. I can’t stop won’t stop with sliders, you guys. I’ll probably make a different kind next weekend. I’ve got plenty of ideas up my sleeve. Is that coo? And you know I have mini burger buns burning a hole in my freezer… Mini sandwiches forever!
P.P.S. It’s Popsicle Week! Click that lovely image on the sidebar to see who’s participating and what they’re making as they post their pops. Thanks to Billy for coordinating this and for making such a bomb logo!
Zucchini Parmesan Sliders (makes about 11)
Inspired by a vegetarian chicken parmesan remix
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4-1/2″ rounds
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup+ panko
- 4 T olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 5 slices provolone
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 11 King’s Hawaiian Rolls or slider rolls
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
- fresh basil, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350F. Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in an iron skillet over medium heat.
- Divide flour, eggs, and panko into separate small bowls. Whisk the eggs with a tablespoon of water. Dunk the seasoned zucchini in the flour, then eggs, and then panko. Set aside. Continue with all the zucchini. Place half of the zucchini rounds in the hot skillet until crispy. Flip and toast up the crumbs on the opposite sides. Remove and crisp up the remaining zucchini slices. Either place zucchini in the iron skillet or in an oven safe dish. Cover with marinara sauce. Place provolone over each zucchini round. Sprinkle with parmesan, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and a fork inserts easily into the rounds.
- Meanwhile stir garlic into remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Brush onto sliced slider buns. Toast on a grill pan until crispy. Remove from zucchini parmesan from the oven. Serve on toasty buns with fresh basil.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Crispy and crunchy forever.
Full Disclosure: I was compensated from King’s Hawaiian Bread to post about the ultimate sandwich contest. Thanks for supporting my sponsors that make this blog possible! And, yep all these opinions are my own! I truly love the hell out of this sandwich situation.