I’ve got some honesty for you guys. You see, Friday I went bowling sock-less… Yep, that’s right. I wore public shoes without socks. And I’m totally cool with the 10-second rule. You better believe that sometimes entire slices of pizza fly off my plate and I still eat them. Now you know. Sorry, Elliot, but I can’t sacrifice pizza ever. I feel the same way about these burgers. If one were to fly off my plate, I’d totally still eat it. They’re too good to leave behind.
And these come together in a snap. Just chop, mash, stir, stuff, and bake. And you don’t HAVE to put goat cheese in the center of these guys, but I promise it’s delish. You could always stuff them with another cheese of your choice. I like to make these Light Brioche Buns and pop them in the freezer for spontaneous burgering. I made little 1.5 oz buns for these sliders. It might be my favorite size yet!
AND these are prefect for serving a crowd. you can assemble the patties in advance and pop them on the baking sheets in the fridge and bake them up when your guests arrive. Slider party!
- 1 (15 -16 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 egg
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1/2 t chipotle smoked hot pepper
- 1 t hot sauce
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 8 oz. goat cheese
Greek yogurt guacamole –
- 1 avocado
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- salt and pepper
- juice from 1/2 a lime or to taste
- 2 T Greek yogurt
Serve it –
- 8 small slices Monterey jack cheese, optional
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 8 light brioche slider buns (1.5 oz), toasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a potato masher followed by a fork until thick and pasty. Stir minced red pepper, onion and garlic into the mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, spices and hot sauce. Stir egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. (I used about 3/4 of a cup of panko bread crumbs. Crushing them with my hands as I dropped them in the bowl.)
- Divide mixture into 8 patties using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Divide goat cheese into 8 (1 0z) disks. Break each patty in half pat into a disk. Top with the other half of the patty. Cover the cheese completely. Pat down into a slider-sized patty. Repeat with all the burgers.
- Place on foil lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes on one side and then flip. Bake for 6 minutes longer, top with additional cheese (Monterey jack), if you want, and bake for additional 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast the buns and make guacamole. Mash avocado in a small bowl. Add garlic, salt and pepper, greek yogurt, and lime juice to taste.
- Remove from the oven and assemble your delicious black bean sliders with a tomato slice and guacamole. Enjoy!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
I celebrated the weekend with a Chicago dog and booze shake from Mercury Burger Bar. How did you guys live it up?