This quesadilla is an ode to BFF dinners passed. You see, my friend Katie and I used to get a meal like this out on the town now and then. And looking back, I still think fondly on that damn quesadilla, but I feel even more fond of a similar dinner made in my own kitchen. Then, and only then, can I trust what’s happening on these cheesy wedges filled with spinach dip, ya know?
Katie has since moved to California, and I miss the hell out of her! At least I get to visit her next month, ya know? And at least I can revisit one of our fave dinners at home in preparation for our super-fun hangouts to come.
So what it comes down to is this:
1. Putting spinach dip on a quesadilla is totes a good idea.
2. BFFs moving far away sure isn’t easy!
Spinach & Chicken Quesadilla (serves 4)
Adapted from a dinner memory
- 2 large or 4 small chicken breasts
- juice from 2 lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 glug olive oil
spinach dip -
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- heaping 3 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- scant 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 T fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- a hefty pinch of kosher salt
- a generous sprinkle of ground pepper
- 4 (8″) tortillas
- 2 avocados, halved and sliced
- munster, provolone or mozzarella
- hot sauce, to serve
- chives, to serve
- Prepare chicken. Transfer chicken to a large zip-top bag. Add the lemon, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper and marinate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile heat a grill pan. Grill chicken, transfer to a clean surface to rest for 5 minutes. Slice into strips.
- Make spinach dip. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat with garlic. Cook and stir spinach until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Sir together the goat cheese, Greek yogurt, cooked spinach mixture, parmesan cheese, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Assemble quesadillas. Divide spinach dip, chicken, avocado, and additional cheese between all the tortillas. Heat a large skillet, and spray with cooking spray. Cook quesadillas until the outside is crispy and the inside is melty. Serve with additional Greek yogurt, hot sauce, and green chives if you want!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Wilt that spinach in your mismatched socks, yo.