Mushrooms are one of the cutest vegetables. They remind me of gnomes and fairy tails. So thanks, nature! Thanks for mushrooms, acorns, and mini pinecones. Nature’s just cute, you guys.
So these cookies resemble a vegetable, but are just cookies. They’re late for the whole dressing-up-for-Halloween-thing. They taste like crumb-y good shortbread. I just might want to dunk them in jam like these guys.
P.S. Mostly I ate two in a row, really quick, while these were warm. Sometimes a girl just needs a cookie.
Mushroom Shortbread Cookies
Recipe adapted from The Good Life; Method from Sprinklebakes
- 1 stick + 1 T butter, at room temperature
- scant 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- scant 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 T honey, warmed
- 1 1/2 t rosewater, optional
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, for forming and sprinkling
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 325F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg. Add the flour, honey, rosewater, and salt. Mix until dough just comes together.
- Place cocoa powder in a small dish. Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough. Roll into a ball in your hand. Dip a piping tip or the top of a small bottle in cocoa powder and press into the round creating the mushroom shape. Place on prepared baking sheets and continue with all the dough.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until just turning golden. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Gobble them up!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Yep, I used that.
12 thoughts on “Mushroom Shortbread Cookies”
Magical! I definitely spied a sparkly, mushroom ornament the other day…I’ll probably have to buy it for you now, for your non-existent tree!
Ha! You would turn this cookie into a christmas decoration.
Easy and delicious, love these!
They’re so tasty!
Ahhh! You’re so tricky megan. When I first saw the title I thought It was literally mushrooms inside cookies and I was like, I don’t know about this but now I so do know about this. You know what’s up!
Can’t trick the trickster!
Cutest!! Nature is pretty great.
I’m thankful for nature.
Those are just adorable! Such a clever idea 🙂
Heather from Spinklesbakes thinks of the best things!
Oh!!! They turned out so cute! We were gonna make those when I was there- now I might need to make them here!
Do it! <3!