Let’s restart. Let’s toast to the new year now! I’m not going to lie. I keep thinking that I can’t wait for this year to end. Too many crazy things have happened that I no longer want to share a year with. But my friend mentioned that maybe I should start my new year now, ya’ know? Toast now! Instead of wishing the year away, take a fresh start immediately.
So let’s put champagne in our waffles. Let’s toast our bites. Let’s sit in the backyard in the sun and look ahead instead of behind. Cheers!
I got this started breakfast style because these waffles are made for celebrating. They taste berry sweet with a hint of champagne. Marie Antoinette would just really love these. And she’s got good taste, ya know?
Strawberry Champagne Waffles (makes 7)
Recipe adapted from these beer bro waffles
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t salt
- 4 t baking powder
- 1 1/4 t baking soda
- 2 T sugar
- 1 (1.2 oz.) package freeze-dried strawberries, processed to a powder
- 5 T unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup champagne
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped or 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- berries + maple whipped cream*, for topping
* Beat together 1 cup heavy cream with maple syrup to taste.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and dried strawberry powder.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add milk and champagne and heat until mixture is warm. Whisk vanilla bean and eggs into the warm beer mixture. (If the champagne starts to curdle the milk a bit, strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer before mixing in with the dry ingredients.)
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Slowly pour wet ingredients into the well, whisking until smooth and barely any lumps remain.
- Pour into a pre-heated, lightly greased Belgian waffle maker (a regular waffle iron will work fine as well). Cook until it’s done to your liking. Serve immediately with berries and maple whipped cream.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
I shot this on my bar cart with Elliot as my faithful assistant.