When it’s super toasty I avoid my oven. I give it the silent treatment. I don’t text it back. I hide it on facebook.
The stovetop and I, however, are totally on speaking terms. I like to heat up my grill pan and cover it with sliced zucchinis. I like to put those little rounds in my pasta, with pesto, and (of course) on a quesadilla.
I find that if I don’t hurry and cook, grill, or roast veggies then I forget about them in the drawer in my fridge. They end up getting weird, and well, that’s just disrespect to summer, ya know? So when I, rather hastily, bought two zucchinis and two summer squash for just one person, I knew I had to get creative and show these guys some love.
And it turns out they make the best summer quesadilla! Pop them in a wheat tortilla with roasted red pepper, avocado slices, and goat cheese. Slice it. Chomp it. Love it. It’s the summertime high-five of dinners.
Zucchini Quesadillas (servings vary)
- zucchinis + yellow summer squash (about 1 per 2 servings)
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- garlic (1 clove per zucchini)
- roasted red pepper (roast one or buy a jar!)
- avocado (about 1 avocado per two servings)
- goat cheese (about 1 oz. per serving)
- Slice zucchini and squash into rounds. Toss with a splash of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Meanwhile heat a grill pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Place zucchini in a single layer on the hot pan. Cook until golden. Flip and cook until the rounds have shrunk a bit and are cooked through. (Feel free to sample until they’ve reached your desired doneness.) Keep the grill pan on and spray with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Assemble quesadillas by layering zucchini on the bottom half of a tortilla. Top with roasted red pepper, avocado slices, and goat cheese. Fold over and return to the hot grill pan. Once the tortilla is crispy, flip and continue cooking until both sides are crispy. Remove from pan, slice, and serve with a lime wedge and hot sauce.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
It doesn’t get much better than melty cheese and a rainbow for dinner.