I’m trying to figure out what to tell you guy first. Like do you care that I cleaned my pantries?! There is no longer ancho chili powder strewn. And the other day I was going to get a solid dinner on my own and the next thing I knew I found myself at my kitchen table with chips, salsa and a dream. Why am I telling you about the weird alone at home chips and salsa pre-cereal dinner? I don’t even know. Maybe you have weird dinners too and maybe you just understand, ya know?
But the best part of my weekend was adventure-daying and then eating this cornbread with some veggie chili with my boyfriend who is so fun. And it’s pretty cool that this cornbread tastes totally bomb even tho it’s vegan. There’s no weird biz in here, and honestly flax eggs are some serious cool science that I can get behind. I wouldn’t go making a flax omelette or anything, but jeez! They work so well in baking that I just want to shake a flax seed’s hand.
So! Consider this the savory funfetti cornbread you’ve always wanted! I bet you’ll like it.
Vegan Roasted Pepper Corn Bread
roasted peppers –
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T ground flax seeds + 2 T water (flax egg!)
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the peppers on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast until dark, rotating for 30-40 minutes or until dark. Set aside to cool slightly. Peel and remove seeds. Dice.
- Grease 8 or 9 inch pan. Whisk together the remaining ingre
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, corn meal, sugar and baking powder).
- Stir in almond milk, oil and flax egg, mixing until until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the roasted peppers.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until light gold brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.