Puff Daddy might say that it’s all about the Benjamins, but I happen to know that it is, in fact, all about the garnish. It’s quite the accessory for this chili, don’t you think? It’s the polka dot tights to best party dress.
P.S. I might’ve gotten three bottles of Cholula hot sauce for Christmas. I’m crazy about the stuff! Now you know. Condiments!
This chili has me swooning. It’s Valentine worthy. It’s so flavorful! I might’ve added some chipotle smoked pepper making it SUPER spicy in a dreamy-good way. And the Greek yogurt’s creamy tartness balances the hell out of this. Let’s make chili, you guys! Let’s toast our dinner. Cheers!
BLOG LOVE: Minimal Baker knows what’s up. I adapted this recipe from their vegan variety! Check out their blog for tasty, simple, refreshing recipes. There are plenty more that I want to make. (Breakfast cookies, what?)
Vegetarian Beer Chili (5-7 servings)
Recipe adapted from the Minimilast Baker
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1/2 t coriander
- 1 t cinnamon
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4-1 t chipotle smoked pepper (Super spicy. BEWARE.)
- 1 T hot sauce
- 1 12 oz. bottle beer (I used Shiner Bock, but any lager will work!)
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz. can kidney beans, slightly drained
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans, slightly drained
Garnish: Greek yogurt, avocado, hot sauce, scallions, or cheese!
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, along with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the spices and hot sauce and cook for one minute. Add beer and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until reduced by about half.
- Add the tomatoes (with their juices) and the beans (slightly drained) and about 1/4 teaspoon more of both salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 25-30 minutes. Taste and season more as needed.
- Serve topped with Greek yogurt, avocado, hot sauce, scallions, or cheese!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
For more vegetarian recipes try:
Roasted Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas
Lemon Lentil Soup
White Pizza with Lemony Greens
Spinach, Artichoke, and Feta Stuffed Shells
Roasted Beet Pesto Pasta
Spaghetti Squash + Stuffed Mushrooms