Guys. I’m making Thanksgiving dinner this year. (Please leave turkey tips in the comments, f’real.) And I have this thing where I’m all “We need at least 3, maybe 4 desserts.” But the truth is, that’s kinda cray. So this year I’m making 2 desserts. THIS is one of them! Except they’ll be mini-mini, and probably will have whipped cream on top, and maybe chocolate turkeys. (There won’t be any chocolate poultry, I promise.)
Unfortunately, I’m not a whiskey girl or a bourbon girl. I’m not that cool. I can’t drink that stuff on the rocks, or neat, or even messy. You see, once I drank too much of it and well, I can only sample it now and eat it in cake or drink it when masked with other stuff, but I totally appreciate it! And someday I’ll grow up and go down south and be all “when in Kentucky” with some bourbon.
But in the meantime, I’ll eat it in cake, and mousse, and sample yours by the sip, ok?
Chocolate Bourbon Cake (makes 1 loaf + a few minis)
Recipe from Nigella Lawson via Alexandra Cooks
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t sea salt (Maldon or Fleur de Sel or 3/4 Kosher)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 4 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 T bourbon
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line the long sides with a rectangle of parchment paper. Also line a mini loaf pan or the bottom of 3 4-inch cake pans with parchment rounds.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Fold in the melted chocolate, stir in the bourbon.
- Meanwhile whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Alternately mix in the flour mixture and coffee until you have a smooth batter. Pour into the lined loaf pan, leaving at least an inch from the top. Pour the remaining batter in prepared smaller pans.
- Bake cakes for 30 minutes. Remove smaller cakes from the oven and then turn the oven down to 325F and bake for 15 more minutes. Allow to cool completely. Slice or crumble cakes for layering with mousse.
Layer it up. Live your life.
Chocolate Bourbon Mousse
Recipe from Ginger Bakes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 4 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg whites
- In a small saucepan, combine the bourbon and sugar together over medium heat to make a syrup. Bring just to a boil so the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Pour over chocolate and stir until melted. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the cream.
- With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the chocolate mixture. In a clean bowl, whip the remaining cream until fluffy and dreamy. Fold into the chocolate-y goodness. Layer with cake crumbles in pretty juice glasses. Chill for 3 hours at least or overnight. Serve with additional whipped cream and chocolate shavings, if you want.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipes above.