You guys, I’m heading to Chicago for the weekend! There are plans to drink beers and drinks and eat pizza and monkey bread and cinnamon rolls. So, it’s probably good that I prepped this week by snacking on this ice cream. I really sampled the hell out of it. I just wanted to get ready for my weekend AND make sure this was good, ya know? The base tastes like dough FO SHO. And there’s cookie dough in it. Honestly, I kinda love it.
Now I want to brown sugar-ify ice cream bases for more things! Like maybe a peach cobbler ice cream? Or a blondie ice cream? Or even just to serve on some warm berry pie. It’s like when I made brown sugar swiss meringue! Magic, guys.
So I hope you all have an awesome weekend filled with pizza and drinks and this ice cream.
Double Dough Ice Cream (makes 1 hefty quart)
Recipe adapted from THIS post and Jeni and David
brown sugar ice cream base –
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 T + 1 t cornstarch
- 1 1/2 oz. (3 T) cream cheese, softened
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, split
cookie dough –
- 5 T unsalted butter, melted
- hefty pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, or chunks
- Make ice cream. Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry. In a medium bowl stir together the cream cheese and salt until smooth.
- Combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla seeds, and bean in a 4-quart saucepan. bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heatproof spatula until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture until smooth. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill ice cream base for a few hours or over night.
- Meanwhile make cookie dough. In a medium bowl, stir together the butter, salt, and sugar until smooth. Stir in the flour, vanilla, and chocolate chips. Pour the “dough” onto wax paper or plastic wrap and cover with more paper/plastic wrap. Pat into a round about 1/2 inch thick, and chill until firm. Once chilled unwrap and chop the dough into bite-sized pieces, then store the pieces in the freezer until ready to use.
- When ready to churn, removing vanilla bean, and freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once fully churned layer in a one-quart container with the cookie dough pieces. Top ice cream with plastic wrap and an airtight lid. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Atwater in the Park // Asparagus Breakfast Wrap
This Ice Cream! // Fiesta Fonts
P.S. These photos were all taken on my phone and edited with the VSCO app. I’m a real slacker sometimes, but I promise I’ll get my life together soon.
19 thoughts on “Double Dough Ice Cream”
And now we know what ice cream we’ll be making first this summer. Are you storing it in a glass jar? I had such bad luck with that. :/
Have a blast in Chicago, friend! xo
This looks amazing! I tried brown sugar in ice cream this first time this year and it’s so good. Great depth of flavor! Happy Friday!
oh gahhh so jealous that you’re headed to chicago! eat a slice of deep dish for me!!!! and this ice cream. oh lordy, get me some of this.
this looks really good! are you sure it only makes a pint though? seems like with the volume of milk and cream you are using, it would be more like a quart.
You’re so right! I meant quart. 🙂
I couldn’t stop thinking about this ever since you posted it on IG. Killin me.
Oh my parents used to live in Chi (and my brother still lives downtown there)! Enjoy!!
So much love for this ‘scream! Hope you have/had (?) a blast in Chi-town!
I want this in my body riiiiiiiight now. This looks so yummy!
Don’t be so hard on yourself 🙂 I love your iPhone posts! And I LOVE THIS ICE CREAM I am totally going to make some! <3 <3
I love this ice cream. I am telling everyone about it. People are getting irritated, but when you love something, you can’t keep it in.
I’m also waiting for you to open a restaurant/ice cream shop/bakery.
Yessss. This ice cream sounds so good! Hope you had fun in chi-town! I lived there last year and ate so well. 🙂
I love brown sugar flavored things too! Double dough=magic words 🙂
Kicking myself that I haven’t gotten around to making this ice cream, honestly what am I waiting for?!!! Hope you had a great time in Chicago, such a great city!
So I totally did have pizza and drinks this weekend, but now it feels like a bit of a let down because I didn’t eat this ice cream which sounds truly stupendous. Must have!
OMG, this my ultimate favorite ice cream flavor, I made my own version a year ago. Mine has a brown butter custard base and the flavor is amped up with mini chocolate chips, cookie dough pieces, brown sugar, + fleur de sel (to make it taste like a gourmet chocolate chip cookie that has its’ top sprinkled with fancy salt). It was by far one of the best ice creams I have ever made or tasted. I can’t wait to try your version though! PS I just love your blog!
Here’s a link to my gourmet double cookie dough ice cream…