This is one of those desserts where you take one bite and want to shout about it’s goodness to everyone near! But only your pup is near! So you tell him even though he can’t have chocolate so he can’t get thaaaaaaaaat excited. It’s one of those tasty treats that you almost eat in the car on your way to give it to someone. It’s the kind you bring into work to share, and eat a quarter of it. It’s that kind.
You guys, I knew I wanted to make this ever since I saw it’s good-lookin’ face in Bon Appetit. And the coffee ganache… Whoa. It didn’t disapoint. It really makes me want to infuse every ganache whisked in my kitchen. (Coffee, mint leaves, vanilla beans, oh my!)
So do me a favor and make this! Make minis for easy sharing. Make one big one and bring it to a bbq. Just make it, take a bite, and then tell me if it changes your life as much as it changed mine.
Coffee S’mores Pie (makes 1 large pie or 3 mini pies)
Recipe from Bon Appetit
- 9 whole graham crackers, ground finely in a food processor
- 2 T heavy cream
- 2 T Nutella
- 1 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 1 T unsalted butter, melted
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 T unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 T finely ground coffee
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Make the crust. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, heavy cream, Nutella, chocolate, and butter together until all of the crumbs are moistened. Press into to the bottom of one large pie pan or 3 mini pie pans. Chill in the fridge until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Oh my coffee ganache. Place the chocolate and butter in a large bowl. Meanwhile heat the heavy cream and coffee along with 2 tablespoons of water until just boiling. Set aside to steep for 5 minutes. Pour through a fine mesh sieve over the chocolate and butter. Discard coffee grounds and whisk until smooth. Pour over chilled crust(s) and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Make meringue. Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites on medium speed until light and frothy. Add sugar in 4 additions, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Continue beating until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Spoon over ganache and swirl with a spoon. Toast with a kitchen torch if you want! Cover and chill until time to serve. Pie can be made a day ahead.
YAY! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
This graham cracker crust has nutella and melted chocolate in it! It doesn’t get too firm when chilled. It stays compact and not even crumbly.