Because when I was seven I picked pink earrings over my birth stone. Because pink foods are always a party. Because cherries are the sole reason these are pink. Because when things are mini you can eat fifteen. Because I love you.
These guys are almond-y where the donuts are concerned and tartly cherry where the pink glaze is concerned. But don’t be concerned, these will make your heart smile.
Disclaimer: I blame the fact that I always spell “doughnuts” as “donuts” on the fact that I grew up with a Dunkin’ Donuts at the end of my street. I was known for going through the drive-thru for chocolate milk and a double chocolate donut like only a healthy teenager would.
Almond Mini Donuts + Cherry Glaze (makes 2 1/2 -3 dozen)
Donut recipe adapted from these guys
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- heaping 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 6 T buttermilk
- 1/4 t almond extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 T butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 T+ cherry juice*
- mini donut pan (or mini muffin pan)
* Simply press thawed sour cherries into a fine mesh strainer over powdered sugar.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray mini donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk, almond extract, egg, and butter and beat until just combined. (Transfer batter to a sandwich bag and snip off the end for easy donut pan filling.) Pipe donut batter into each donut cup approximately 1/2 full.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes or until the top of the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan for 4-5 minutes before removing. Finish donuts with cherry glaze.
- Make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and cherry juice until thin enough for dunking, but thick enough to do a good coat. Dunk the tops of the donuts in the glaze and set aside to set or pop in the fridge. Enjoy!
YAY! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.