PLEASE NOTE: I’ve remade/photographed these since.
For the updated post click HERE.
My first favorite thing about these muffins is how the raspberries turn the icing pink and my second favorite thing is the way the raspberries are a surprise when you bite into these. The deliciousness is understood.
These are pretty much cupcakes, that I’ve decided to call a muffins for breakfast’s sake. They seem like the kind of breakfast cake that should be served with pink hot chocolate or at a tea party.
Mostly, they are a pretty muffin with freckles. What’s not to like?
Raspberry Orange Mini Muffins
Recipe adapted from Cupcakes!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 – 2 t grated orange zest
- scant 1 T poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1 t orange juice
- 27 raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 27 mini muffin tin cups with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on a medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until smoothly blended and lightened in color, about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until each is blended and batter looks creamy. Mix in the vanilla, orange zest and poppy seeds.
- On a low speed, add half of the flour mixture, mixing just to incorporate it. Mix in the buttermilk to blend it. Mix in the remaining flour mixture until it is just incorporated and batter looks smooth. Stir in orange juice.
- Fill each paper liner using a cookie scoop or about 1 teaspoon of batter. Pop one raspberry on top of each cupcake and press in lightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center and comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool before drizzling. It makes for prettier frosting, trust me.
*I was out of buttermilk so I used the following substitution:
Place 1 1/2 t lemon juice in a 1/2 cup measuring cup and fill to the top with milk.
Allow to sit for 2 minutes. Use in place of buttermilk! Thanks Joy!
(substitution found on Joy the Baker)
Raspberry + Orange = Pink Icing
- 1 T butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 2 t orange juice
- 2 raspberries mashed
- Stir butter and 2/3 cup powdered sugar together until it looks like large crumbs.
- Add 2 teaspoons orange juice and mix completely. Mash two raspberries and stir into the icing.
- Add remaining 1/3 cup powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time until slightly thicker than a glaze. Drizzle on top of the cupcakes and eat 26.
Here I am sifting like I mean it with my new flour sifter!
1 thought on “Raspberry Orange Mini Muffins with Pink Icing”