PLEASE NOTE: I’ve remade/photographed these since. For the updated post click HERE.
I’m already hungry for Thanksgiving.
To be completely honest, I’m already hungry for my next meal very shortly after finishing the current one. So if you’re hungry right now, and feeling a little bit worried about dinner, you should make this.
These stuffed shells are a delicious + healthier version of the all cheese stuffed shells. My main adaptation of the recipe was that I used double the spinach and more artichokes, but kept the cheese amount the same. The strong feta flavor comes through perfectly despite the additional vegetables and I like how full the shells are.
Spinache, Artichoke and Feta Stuffed Shells
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 (28 oz) can of chopped tomatoes, some of the juice drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce (8 oz can or left over)
- 1/8 t red pepper flakes, or more for a spicier sauce
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella (I only had monterey jack on hand so I used that. It still turned out delish.)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup ( 4 ounces) low fat cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, divided
- 1 16 oz bag of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 12 oz bag of frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 20 cooked jumbo shells
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Cook shells in salted boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Combine oregano, can of chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, and two pressed cloves of garlic in a medium sauce pan. Place over a medium heat; cook 12 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup shredded provolone, feta cheese, cream cheese, salt and pepper to taste, 2 pressed cloves of garlic, spinach and chopped artichoke hearts in a large bowl. Scoop about 2 tablespoons into each cooked shell and place in the prepared pan. (I used my cookie scoop to fill the shells. Two scoops fit perfectly!)
- Spoon tomato mixture over the shells and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup provolone.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes or until cheese is melty and sauce is bubbling.
We both had seconds.
8 thoughts on “Spinach, Artichoke and Feta Stuffed Shells”
Steve will be making this for me week next. It turns out that he is much better in the kitchen than I am.