You should probably know a couple things. I can be terribly impatient. I occasionally panic right before a recipe does what it’s supposed to. I’m also a mess when I stir. I’m pretty good at stirring in a way that splatters ingredients impressive distances. This frosting is beaten for quite awhile, and my cupboards and countertops and shirt and floor were freckled with chocolate when I was done. It turned out delicious though. These cupcakes are soft and perfectly rounded too. The frosting is light and dreamy. They were a match that was meant to be.
I made these cute little guys for a baby shower, and she is not finding out whether she’s having a boy or girl until she meets him/her.
So here you go. Pink and blue with hearts!
And, here’s Elliot making sure they are pretty enough to bring to a baby shower.
Mini Chocolate Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Hello, Cupcake!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 T) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the mini muffin cups with paper liners. (Makes about 4 dozen mini cupcakes.)
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, with an electric mixer on high, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the melted chocolate. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating until just blended. Stir in the vanilla.
- Using a cookie scoop, or a teaspoon fill the paper liners two-thirds full. Bake for 9 – 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from baking pan, place on a wire rack and cool completely.
“Oh My Ganache” Frosting
Recipe adapted from Alton Brown
- 16 oz mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 16 oz (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
- Measure out the mini chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream in a quart-sized, microwavable container and microwave for 3-4 minutes on high, or until it just beings to simmer; be careful not to allow cream to boil over.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for two minutes. Whisk until all the chocolate is combined with the cream and no lumps remain.
- Allow to come to room temperature, about 2 hours. Once at room temperature, beat on high in a circular motion until lightened in color and slight peaks form when the beaters are lifted from the chocolate. (May take anywhere from 5-10 minutes.) Refrigerate for a few hours for easier piping. I refrigerated mine overnight and found it was too firm for piping or spreading. I then microwaved it for only 5 seconds and stirred until softened, and then it piped fabulously.
P.S. I had quite a bit left over, so either make the whole recipe and plan on having extra for some other delicious treat or cut it in half, and you should be fine.
4 thoughts on “Mini Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with “Oh My Ganache” Frosting”
These are so pretty and the dog is so cute!
Hey Megan, Laura told me about your blog and I’ve had fun making some of the items…however, I think you forgot to put how much buttermilk to add in this recipe…I am hoping I guessed right! 🙂
1 cup buttermilk! Added and bolded. 🙂 Sorry about that!