I remember this episode of Garfield from when I was a little girl where there was free ice cream in the park, and he kept going back for more by wearing a fake mustache, a hat, sunglasses, or other various disguises. Speaking of disguises. This is a dessert disguised as breakfast. Make it for house guests this lovely Labor Day, and you’ll be glad you did. People might even put on fake mustaches when they go get piece number three.
I thought about remaking this into muffins…but there’s something about the middle piece of a coffee cake that held me back. I’m not always a fan of apples baked into cakes, but this is delicious. It’s a brown sugar cinnamon cake with crumbled goodness and then even more brown sugar drizzled on top. I happen to love brown sugar and the glaze put me over the top in my need to make this. I was daydreaming about it, and it sure didn’t disappoint.
Apple Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze
Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse . Bam?
- 4 T unsalted butter (1/2 stick), softened +1 t
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1 heaping cup of chopped apples, peeled for sure (about 1 large apple)
Crumble Topping –
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 2 T unsalted butter, softened
Brown Sugar Glaze –
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 1 T water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 x 8 baking dish with one teaspoon of softened butter.
- Make cake. In a large bowl cream together four tablespoons of softened butter and brown sugar. Add egg, beat. In a small bowl sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another small bowl whisk together sour cream and vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with sour cream and vanilla. Fold in apples. Pour into prepared baking dish, spreading to edges.
- Make crumble topping. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs and sprinkle on top. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden and set. Cool 10 minutes.
- Make glaze. In a small bowl combine sugar, vanilla and water and mix until smooth. Drizzle cake with glaze and let harden slightly. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes for easier serving. (Simply double if you want to make it in a 9 x 13 pan.)
The smell of this baking is like going to the cider mill for the first time when the leaves start changing.
5 thoughts on “Apple Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping & Brown Sugar Glaze”
Can I have a piece?!?!? Oh yummmmmo
ooh oooh Oooh! The middle piece of coffee cake is just to die for! You were right not to make these into muffins!
So I forgot flour at first! In the cake ingredients! Am I crazy? Was it a practical joke? No way.
So it’s there now.
• 1 cup of flour.
Sorry guys. 🙂
I made this today for a party- I doubled the recipe and not only was it really pretty, it was DELICIOUS! Good one Megabite!
One of the BEST cakes I make for friends…always a hit!!