Putting a sandwich on these guys is like having a sandwich on a corn muffin. Honestly, I can’t imagine anything better.
I’m excited to make these the next time Jake makes pulled pork … ribs or briskit. Basically, these would accompany BBQ-ed goodness in a dreamy way. But for now peanut butter and strawberry jam will do.
Oh yeah! It’s September! So I guess instead of BBQ-ing we should be thinking about beef stew and pumpkin everything. Well, these rolls are cool in that they can transition effortlessly from summer to fall. Like wearing your favorite dress with tights, or something.
Cornmeal Yeast Rolls
Recipe adapted from cdkitchen
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 t sugar + 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 t salt
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3+ cups all-purpose flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (or any large bowl+ an electric mixer), combine the yeast, water and 1 teaspoon sugar and let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in 1/4 cup sugar, butter, milk, egg, salt and cornmeal. (If mixing by hand switch from your hand mixer to a wooden spoon before adding the flour.) Add 2 1/2 cups flour and mix until combined.
- Knead in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour on a lightly floured surface for 7-10 minutes or in a stand mixer for about 5 minutes. Add more flour as needed to keep the dough from being too sticky.
- Transfer to a medium lightly greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk (1-2 hours).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Form the dough into about 14 (2.5 oz.) rolls and place on the prepared baking sheets leaving a couple inches of space between. Cover lightly with a dish towel and set aside to rise until puffy and almost double in size (45 minutes – 1 hour).
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 375ºF. Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container to enjoy for days.
Just dunk this in some beef stew already.
4 thoughts on “Cornmeal Yeast Rolls”
The idea of a sandwich on a corn muffin had my eyes glazing over. I adore corn bread and that sounds amazing! These rolls look seriously delicious!
OOh then you’d love these, Beckie. If we were neighbors I’d make them for you for sure. 🙂
Thank you vey much for the recipe…easy and it turn out great!