There are a couple things that I’m spoiled about.
- Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam
- Cornmeal Taco Shells for taco night
I really don’t like to buy strawberry jam ever. Growing up we had a never ending amount in the freezer. When I moved out there was a moment when I ran out of my strawberry jam and bought some… big mistake. So now I make it too.
Another thing is these taco shells. Whenever we had tacos, my mom would make a ton of these. I remember eating them too fast because I loved them too much to casually eat. That and the fact that I grew up in a family of six and wanted to make sure I got my share.
Once you make these, you’ll understand.
You’ll want Taco Tuesday to be a national holiday.
I’m just saying.
Cornmeal Taco Shells
Recipe from my childhood
- 2 eggs
- 1/2-3/4 t salt
- 5 1/2 T corn meal
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1 cup milk ( room temperature)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- Beat eggs and add salt. Add corn meal and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl (warm the milk for 30 seconds unless it was really room temperature) add the corn starch to the room temperature milk, one tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Pour the milk mixture and vegetable oil into the egg, salt, corn meal mixture and whisk until mixed. It will be a thin crepe-like consistency.
- Pour 1/4 of a cup into the center of an oiled iron skillet at a medium/high heat. Cook until the top is bubbly and almost done (about 1 minute). Flip until bottom is done, about one more minute. Continue process for the rest of the batter, whisking the batter now and then. Makes enough for four. If using an iron skillet you will probably not need to re-oil the pan at all throughout cooking.
I made a half recipe last night since it was just Jacob and myself. If you have a big group double it like you mean it.
4 thoughts on “Cornmeal Taco Shells”
It always makes me feel good that you LIKED food I made.. love you!
Seriously amazing. I look forward to dinner the nights I know I’m making these… Yum!
Oh – I wish you lived close – I’d hire to cook for us!!!!