This ice cream happened because of a text, my girl, JD sent me from New York that said, “I’m eating cider mill donut frozen yogurt.” I knew immediately that I had to churn up some donut dreams.
And basically nothing says double trouble more than cinnamon sugar donut ice cream served with cinnamon sugar donuts. It’s just true. And nutmeg is totally the trick for turning this ice cream into a cider mill miracle. I maybe can’t even handle it!
And I’m going through a crisis… You see, I ran out of this ice cream last night. I’m seriously thinking I need to go buy more cinnamon sticks and get this going again. Now if only I could finagle a cone made of donuts for serving…
P.S. If you like it, put a donut on it. Obvz.
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Ice Cream (makes scant 1 quart)
Recipe adapted from Jeni + A perfect Scoop
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 T + 1 t cornstarch
- 1 1/2 oz (3 T) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 t fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 10 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 1/4-1/2 t fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean
- brown sugar crunch (recipe below)
- cinnamon sugar donuts, to serve (recipe HERE)
- Mix about 2 T of the whole milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry. In a large bowl whisk the cream cheese and salt together until smooth.
- Combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil for one minute, or until thickened slightly.
- Pour over the cream cheese mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the broken up cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and vanilla bean, with the seeds scraped into the mixture and the pod. Stir everything together. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to steep in the fridge for 4-12 hours. Meanwhile make the brown sugar crunch.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Dispose of vanilla bean pod and cinnamon sticks. Churn according to your ice cream maker’s manufacture’s instructions. Layer in an airtight container with the brown sugar crunch. Cover with plastic wrap and a lid and freeze for at least 4 hours. Serve as a sundae or sandwiched between mini donuts.
Ice cream donut crunch of my dreams.
Brown Sugar Crunch
Recipe adapted from this guy
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 4 T unsalted butter, softened
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs and sprinkle on top. Sprinkle mixture over a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes in a 350F oven. It will melt and spread out over the whole pan.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely. When cool, crumble and transfer to a zip-top bag and freeze until time to disperse in the ice cream.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf for the recipes above.
Cindy totally taught me this donut + straw skewering biznass.
60 thoughts on “Cinnamon Sugar Donut Ice Cream”
GET. OUT. OF. HERE.
I’m gettin’ out!
I want this. Now. Nevermind that I already have 3 different homemade ice creams in the freezer already.
This looks amazing!!
Mo ice cream no problem!
that ice cream. WOW! i’ll take a bowl and that stack of doughnuts, please?
I wish I had some left, I’d mail ya some!
Who doesn’t want a donut in their ice cream?! LOVE this!
Right? Can only be a good thing, ya know?
Oh my gaaaarsh.
<3 Dessert worlds are colliding!
Oh no! <3
Excuseeee me wuuut?! Yes always put a donut on that shiz.
Had to, ya know?
Ah, you are my hero. This ice cream is the bomb! Love it!
Looks delish, again!!!
You should totally make it for dad’s birthday!
drool drool droool.
Ice cream fall-time livin’!
HOLY ICE CREAM…..there’s no way i’ll make it through the weekend without trying to make this. thanks for sharing!
Yay! I hope you do!
Oh, wow. My autumn has officially been made. This looks awesome!! ^.^
Thanks, Anna! <3
I have been craving ice cream recently, and now no ice cream will satisfy that craving but this one 🙂
I hope you make it! It’s my current fave.
You and your ice creams. You always know how to cram in the goodness, just cram it right in. RESPECT.
I mean, I can’t stop!
Uuuuugh why is this not in my face right now?
I wish I could mail ya some!
Wowwww ummmm…I’m not even a donut fan but I want to stuff myself with this, hah! It’s so beautiful lookin’ too!!!!
I bet you’d be into this!
This is seriously almost too much to handle. I actually uttered some profanity when I first opened up this post. Cinnamon sugar donut ice cream dreeeeeeeeeeeams!
haha yes! Curse-worthy!
Wow. I am in love with this recipe. This looks great!
Amazing idea! This looks SO delicious!
Can’t. Handle. Awesomeness.
But seriously. Even though it’s fall, I’ve been on an ice cream CRAZE, and now donuts+ ice cream = death from happiness.
Right?! The colder it gets the more ice cream I want. What’s the deal?
Wow, this ice cream sounds amazing! I’m such a fan of loading up my ice cream with “stuff,” so this sounds right up my alley. I wanted to let you know that I loved your post so much that I featured it on my blog’s Weekend Wrap-Up this week. Thanks for contributing to an incredible week of blogging, and I hope you’re having a nice weekend!
Here’s the link to the wrap-up, in case you’re interested (feel free to stop by and grab a badge for your post, if you like):
Thanks for including me, Jessica!
I made this for a dinner party this past weekend and it was AMAZING!!! I added chopped up cinnamon sugar donuts to the ice cream and geez… SO DELICIOUS. Thank you for this recipe!
Oh hell yeah! So glad you made it! And adding donuts is an AMAZE idea.
great donuts. but can i ask you where you got your tree stump plate… thing? i’m looking for one as a gift and can’t find one to save my life! wrong google searches, maybe?
Mine is from Boards by Joel, and you can find more right here: http://www.shopterrain.com/serveware/ash%2Dwood%2Dcutting%2Dboard/searchString/boards%20%20joel