This ice cream happened because of a text, my girl, JD sent me from New York that said, “I’m eating cider mill donut frozen yogurt.” I knew immediately that I had to churn up some donut dreams.
And basically nothing says double trouble more than cinnamon sugar donut ice cream served with cinnamon sugar donuts. It’s just true. And nutmeg is totally the trick for turning this ice cream into a cider mill miracle. I maybe can’t even handle it!
And I’m going through a crisis… You see, I ran out of this ice cream last night. I’m seriously thinking I need to go buy more cinnamon sticks and get this going again. Now if only I could finagle a cone made of donuts for serving…
P.S. If you like it, put a donut on it. Obvz.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 T + 1 t cornstarch
- 1 1/2 oz (3 T) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 t fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 10 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 1/4-1/2 t fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean
- brown sugar crunch (recipe below)
- cinnamon sugar donuts, to serve (recipe HERE)
- Mix about 2 T of the whole milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry. In a large bowl whisk the cream cheese and salt together until smooth.
- Combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring the mixture back to a boil for one minute, or until thickened slightly.
- Pour over the cream cheese mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the broken up cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and vanilla bean, with the seeds scraped into the mixture and the pod. Stir everything together. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to steep in the fridge for 4-12 hours. Meanwhile make the brown sugar crunch.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Dispose of vanilla bean pod and cinnamon sticks. Churn according to your ice cream maker’s manufacture’s instructions. Layer in an airtight container with the brown sugar crunch. Cover with plastic wrap and a lid and freeze for at least 4 hours. Serve as a sundae or sandwiched between mini donuts.
Ice cream donut crunch of my dreams.
Brown Sugar Crunch
Recipe adapted from this guy
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 4 T unsalted butter, softened
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs and sprinkle on top. Sprinkle mixture over a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes in a 350F oven. It will melt and spread out over the whole pan.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely. When cool, crumble and transfer to a zip-top bag and freeze until time to disperse in the ice cream.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf for the recipes above.