This weekend was full of tough choices. Which cupcake should I have: strawberry cheesecake or bumpy cake? Which kind of coffee should I buy? Should I try to curl my hair? Hefeweizen or Custom Blonde? Should I have cheese on my bread or in my bread?
Ok. I tried both cupcakes. I got some local coffee roasted and stuff in a place Jake vacationed once. I tried to curl my hair. I felt fancy like Lauren Conrad. I went with a Hefeweizen. It tasted like juice and ice cream at the same time. And, duh, I made my bread with cheese in it.
This bread is light and cheesy and tasty. What else is there? It’s so good that Elliot couldn’t contain himself stole a piece off the table when I was in the other room. Who does he think he is?
Recipe adapted from Cafe Muse as printed in Hour Detroit magazine July 2007
- 1 package active dry yeast
- a pinch of sugar
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1 T honey
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 t salt
- 4 1/2 – 5 cups bread flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add pinch of sugar. Allow to sit a few minutes for the yeast to get working. Add honey, oil and salt. Stir until mixed.
- In a separate bowl mix together 4 1/2 cups of flour and cheese. Add flour and cheese mixture to milk mixture. Start combining with a rubber spatula. Stir as much as you can. (If too sticky add remaining flour.) Pour onto a floured surface and knead until soft but not sticky. Knead until pliable.
- Spray a medium bowl with cooking spray. Place the dough in the bowl and flip to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until it doubles in size (about an hour and a half). Punch down and divide between two greased bread pans. Cover and return to a warm place until double in size.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes in a 350 degree F oven. Bread is done when the loaves sound hollow when tapped.
Keepin’ it real, chedda’ bread style.
8 thoughts on “Cheddar Bread”
That looks so good!
You wouldn’t even need to put chesse in your sandwich. Well… you still could… but you wouldn’t have to.
I must confess that I totally put cheese on my sandwich that I made with this bread today. After I did, I might’ve shaken my head at myself. I guess I’m a “the more cheese the better” kind of girl. Even on accident!
Yummy! I feel like I can almost smell this. It looks fab!
The round glossy top of that bread is stunning! And I love Hefeweizen, especially in the summer 🙂
You are my cheese hero!!! I’m totally gonna have to make this one asap. (Love that Elliot stole a slice…he’s such a goofy puppy). 🙂
Beckie, if only we were neighbors. We’d be cheers-ing hefeweizen and eating cheddar bread.
haha Yes, Sally! All I’ve ever wanted out of life is to be your cheese hero.
This would be delicious for breakfast with some scrambled eggs and bacon, methinks.
This bread sure would make a good breakfast sandwich.