The truth is, I’m going to New York tomorrow. It’s my first time and I’m pretty much bursting with excitement! I think I’m going to go to Baked, and Momofuko, and I have plans to eat giant slices of pizza and wear party dresses for no reason. (!!!!) I’m going with a lady friend and staying with this one! Let’s just say that good food will be happening.
But first, waffles! I made these for my sister last weekend. She loved them so much she had them for lunch too! That’s a compliment in lunch-form.
These waffles are bursting with flava flave. On top of the brown butter, and chocolate chips there is orange zest rubbed into the sugar, and beer inspiring these to be their fluffiest. Oh! And strawberry syrup is what summer dreams are made of.
P.S. Berry syrups are just a super-simple way to impress house guests. Words to eat by. Get it!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Belgian Waffles
Recipe adapted from these guys
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t salt
- 4 t baking powder
- 1 1/4 t baking soda
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 T sugar
- 5 T unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup beer
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- strawberry maple syrup (recipe below)
- Rub orange zest into sugar until evenly distributed, and then whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and orange sugar.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue to cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns golden brown. There will be small flakes of brown in the bottom of the pan. It’s totally ok. Add milk and beer and heat until mixture is warm. Whisk vanilla and eggs into the warm beer mixture.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Slowly pour wet ingredients into the well, whisking until smooth and barely any lumps remain. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a pre-heated, lightly greased Belgian waffle maker (a regular waffle iron will work fine as well). Cook until it’s done to your liking. Serve immediately with strawberry maple syrup.
Strawberry Maple Syrup (makes enough to top 5 waffles)
Recipe adapted from this one
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Place berries and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. As the berries cook smoosh them with the back of a spoon. Cook for another minute. Remove from heat and serve over pancakes. Strain if you want, but the berries are goo-ood.
Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipes above.
What’s the batter with you?