What do you do when you are in a funk? I find that there a few things I do.
I cheer myself up by wearing my most favorite high-healed clogs that make boring outfits look hip.
Walking Elliot always helps. In those minutes we are outside and he’s prancy-walking and I’m girly-walking, things are good.
Putting beer in cake and browning butter for a glaze helps too. My day got a lot better once this was in the oven. I could feel ok about life.
This cake tastes like fall with a magical combo of spices. It’d be fun to have as dessert and equally nice for breakfast.
Beer Spice Cake
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t ground allspice
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 cup beer
- pecans for garnish, optional
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat well. Add flour mixture alternately with beer until completely mixed together.
- Pour into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Pretty, dreamy, eh?
Brown Butter Glaze
Recipe adapted in half from Martha Stewart
- 4 T unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1-2 T milk
- Heat butter in saucepan over medium heat until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Carefully pour into a heat-proof bowl, leaving most of the sediment behind.
- Add sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk to butter and stir until smooth. If glaze is too thick add a bit more milk. Drizzle over your beer spice cake.
tasty beer spice cake + chippy green nail polish