I am really loving fall. My three top reasons are the following:
1. Anything pumpkin
2. Boots of all varieties
3. Anything that contains both apples and a crumble topping
They are REALLY good. I recommend making them promptly. And, don’t worry, they’ll be done before Mad Men.
These are so good that even the most prim and proper lady is likely to curse aloud exclaiming the goodness of these for all to hear!
Apple Crumble Bars
Recipe adapted from Pete Bakes
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 3 cups apples, peeled and diced ( about 3 apples)
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 x 8 dish with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, and sugars in a bowl. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles crumbs, using a wooden spoon or your hands to rub the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Take 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture and mix it with the apples. Add the cinnamon as well and set aside once mixed.
- Take 1/2 of the remaining crumb mixture and press it into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and pour the apple mixture into the dish and top with remaining crumbs. Gently press the crumbs down slightly. Put back in the oven for 45 minutes.
- When it’s done the top should be a beautiful golden brown. Cool pan on a wire rack and then remove the bars using tin foil and cut into them for the most delicious apple crumbly goodness ever.