Yesterday was the 1st day of summer! I celebrated it by giving my picnic table a fresh coat of paint and making this pizza! (And staying in bed until 1 with a headache because of too many grapefruit fizz drinks and summer beers, but whatev.) So I grilled up a bunch of veggies in my fridge, while the dough rose. I ate this while watching Orange is the New Black because well, this season is actually really good. Kinda want to give myself a prison tat and shave half my head.
So open your fridge and peep the veggies you think would make a bomb pizza and do it up! Serve it up to yourself on the couch with the coldest water (or beer)! I might’ve gone for a run after eating this? It might’ve felt easy breezy based on the carbo-loading. I should be eating this for breakfast right now… because I’m eating the most boring oatmeal ever… I blame myself.
P.S. I’ve been blogging for 6 whole years now! So that’s pretty cool! I’m still making pizza, hugging Elliot and thinkin’ about baking cookies at 10pm.
Vegan Grilled Veggie Pizza (makes 1)
pizza dough –
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 envelope yeast (rapid rise or active dry)
- pinch of sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water at room temperature
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 4 T olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- salt + pepper
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 corn on the cobb
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 a bunch of asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped, canned artichokes
- 1 avocado
- Make pizza dough! Proof yeast with sugar in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes, or until bubbly. Put the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Begin to stir. Add the water and olive oil to the yeast water. Pour into the mixer. Turn up a little bit higher until the dough is pulling away from the side of the bowl. Add more flour if necessary. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with a towel and set aside to rise for an hour.
- Meanwhile, coat corn, tomato slices, red pepper and asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill them all for about 10 minutes, turning until grilled and awesome. Remove from the grill.
- Divide the dough in half. Freeze one half unless you’d like to make pizza again the next day. With the dough half you’re using, stretch it into a round. Brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic. Place oil side down on the hot grill. Cover and cook until the bottom is cooked. Check by lifting with a spatula. Brush the top with olive oil and garlic. Top with all the grilled veggies except artichokes and avocado. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until finished.
- Top with artichoke, avocado slices, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Serve!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.