Right now, Elliot is under the couch hiding from fireworks. So despite the pup-fear, this weekend has been really great! I grilled tofu and corn Friday night and ate this at the picnic table. The rest of the weekend was hot dogs, pizza, donuts and cheese plates. All while wearing a crop top! (Yeah summer!)
Now, this may seem like a cray amount of food for a weekend, but I mean, it was a 4-day weekend AND I had food poisoning last week. I didn’t eat for 2+ days. I’m making up for lost time. At least that’s what I’m telling myself…
SO! This sandwich is a dream tho. I opt to make it mayo-less. I’ve made it twice and will probably make a few more times before the summer’s over. You should probably come over.
- extra firm tofu
- avocado, mashed
- olive oil
- fresh cilantro
tofu marinade –
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T soy sauce
- juice from 1 lime
- zest from 1/2 lime
- 1 clove garlic
- freshly ground pepper
Pickled veggies –
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 T kosher salt
- 6-8 T sugar
- approximately 6 cups sliced/julienned carrots, jalapeño, red onion
- Make pickles at least one day in advance. Heat the rice vinegar, water, salt and sugar over high heat. bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Remove from heat. Pour over veggies in jars. Allow to come to room temperature then pop in the fridge.
- Marinate tofu! Place tofu on a towel to drain. Slice and place in a shallow dish. Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Pour over tofu. Flip to coat. Marinate for 15-60 minutes.
- Heat your grill or grill pan over medium/high heat. Brush with olive oil. Place tofu on the grill for about 5-10 minutes or until browned. Flip. Meanwhile brush sliced baguette with olive oil. Place oil-side down on the grill until toasted.
- Assemble sandwiches by topping bread with mashed avocado, picked veggies, cilantro and tofu. Serve with corn or other lovely produce.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Full disclosure: I was given payment in the form of fruits and veggies and tofu from Door to Door Organics in order to partner with them. While this is true, all the opinions above are my own. I love this bahn mi! So, thanks so much for supporting the sponsors that help make this blog of mine possible.