Did you know that if you freeze these big ole cookies and then wrap them up individually, pop them in your pocket, and go to the movies they’ll thaw in about 10 minutes. I mean, you might end up eating it before the previews even start. You might pretend you’re only going to eat half and will re-wrap it and return it to your coat pocket like a golden girl. And by you, I mean me.
So I just can’t believe it took me 30 years and 4 months to think to put freeze-dried strawbz in chocolate chunk cookies! They’ve really changed things for me. And don’t worry. It’s totes subtle. Nothing cray cray and fruity, just happy natural-sprinkles are happening. I made these for the fella who gave me a s’mores campfire tattoo (I’ll tell ya more this week!). He’s vegan, you see. AND well at the end of the day I love these as much as a butter-filled cookie. It’s the truth. I’m painfully honest.
Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Strawberries
(makes 1 dozen large cookies)
Recipe adapted from Eat Me, Delicious
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 2 big pinches of kosher salt, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chunk
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries, crushed
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar. In a 2-cup measuring cup whisk together the maple syrup, vanilla, and olive oil. Add to the dry ingredients and beat until almost together. Add chocolate chips and strawberries. Mix until combined.
- Scoop the dough using a 1/4 cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 11 minutes.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.