This weekend has been magic. Not only was the weather 70 degrees (!!!) but I had musical adventures, pizza, and made cookies. I also finally nailed the hand clap in the bridge in G.U.Y. on a run. (Lady Gaga, so what) There was plenty of Stella Artois, backyard lounging, and dining room dancing. Spring has arrived, you guys. It’s here with one single daffodil in my backyard and even if it snows Tuesday, I won’t trust it. I’ll wear sandals without any regard. And I’ll sleep with the window cracked.
Now, anyway. About these cookies. My mom made them and sent me a photo and they were just the most perfect looking cookie ever! So she sent me a photo of the recipe and I finally got around to baking them. She said, “They’re made with melted butter if you can even believe it!” And now I can! I turned that melted butter into brown butter to add a touch of carmel flavor and color to these guys. I ate one, went for a run, and packed them to to bring my friend’s jewelry party.
So, I mean, without having to worry about soft butter, these guys can be yours so easily! I recommend dropping what you’re doing and baking these up. I don’t recommend eating one right before the windiest run ever. Not even Ke$ha could get my legs moving quicker.
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes about 2 dozen)
Recipe from a photo of Cook’s Country texted from my mom
- 12 T unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed (7 oz.)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (3.5 oz.)
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 2 cups + 2 T all-purpose flour (10.5 oz.)
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 9-10 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make brown butter by melting butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until butter foams, then browns, but doesn’t burn, about 5-8 minutes. Pour into a mixing bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer). Beat with both sugars for 2 minutes or until combined. Add egg, yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter mixture. Beat until just combined. Stir chocolate chips in.
- Scoop 2-tablespoon mounds of dough. Roll into a ball. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes or until set and gold around the edges.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and then to your mouth.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.