I call Elliot PUPernickel. I mean, why wouldn’t I? Feel free to use that on your own little dog friend. It’s a solid joke, ya know? Like how every dog’s favorite pizza topping is PUPperoni. I mean, it’s just natural. Or how in the summer they eat PUPsicles. I could go on all day.
When researching this lovely bread, I discovered that it gets it’s dark color through cocoa powder and molasses! Those two together are bread bronzer. But until recently, I had no idea! I thought that perhaps pumpernickel flour was somehow super dark, but nope. Now I’ve got mad plans regarding pumpernickel brioche buns, pumpernickel pizza dough, pumpernickel savory french toast. Oui!
So anyhow, this bread is GOOD. It’s tall, dark, and handsome. It’s savory good. Toast it. Breakfast it. Hug it. Just mostly, love it.
Pumpernickel Bread (makes 1 loaf)
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
- 2 cups warm milk
- 2 2/3 t active dry yeast
- pinch of sugar
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/3 cups rye flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 1/3 t salt
- 4 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 heaping T caraway seeds
- 2 2/3 T brown sugar
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 4 T molasses
- In a two cup measuring cup, warm the milk in the microwave until warm, but NOT hot. Whisk in the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes or until bubbly and frothy.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook) combine the flours, corn meal, salt, cocoa powder, caraway seeds, and brown sugar. Add the yeast mixture, vegetable oil, and molasses, knead with the dough hook until dough comes together. Add more rye flour a tablespoon at a time until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Transfer to a large greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with a tea towel and set aside to rise for one hour.
- Transfer to a greased and parchment lined bread pan. Cover and set aside to rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375F. Bake bread for 30-40 minutes or until dark and hollow sounding when tapped. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Slice and enjoy!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
This loaf is TALL // Elliot’s casual weekend ears
Cindy sent me a happy present // dream catcher craftiness