Because my freezer is forever stocked, grandma-style, with pizza dough, waffles, and (now) cookies. Because I paint pumpkins, real-quick, after work and before dinner. Because I sometimes pick beers over runs and granola bars over lunch and sleeping in over timeliness. Because I want to pack my favorite books in my work bag, just-in-case, and because I slept better in California than anywhere it seems, and because I feel more like myself now than I have in a bit. Because I can sit down and relax now. Because my appetite is BACK. Because things are fine and I have cookies and the dishes are clean and Elliot is alright.
Because I just have to make every single chocolate chip cookie recipe I stumble upon. It’s a thing. An edible thing that I’m completely cool with. Because I printed this recipe with no regard for trees and was generous with the salt with no regard for the sea. Because I think they’re a dream and I think you’re a babe. Because there’s this part of me that wants to take these places in my bag to give to stylish grandmas and kids that dance better than me at weddings. It’s just the truth. But don’t worry, I won’t be that cookie creep passing these out to strangers in line at the grocery store. Instead I’ll give you one for dinner and I’ll eat one for lunch, and I’ll freeze the rest for later this week.
Nutella Stuffed Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from The Tummy Train (makes 1-2 dozen depending on how huge you make them)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 T plain Greek yogurt
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar of Nutella
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Make brown butter by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. It’ll begin to foam. Whisk constantly! As soon as the butter has turned brown and gives off a nutty aroma, remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugars and beat until combined. Add egg and yolk. Mix in vanilla and yogurt. Scrape the bowl then add dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly mix in the chocolate chips. Cover bowl and chill in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Scoop about 14+ teaspoons of Nutella onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Pop in the freezer for 3o minutes. Remove cookie dough from the fridge and preheat your oven to 350F. Remove the Nutella from the freezer. Scoop golf-ball sized balls of dough. Flatten. Top with a frozen round of Nutella. Cover with dough. Roll into a ball. Sprinkle with sea salt and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until set and dreamy. Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Put Nutella back in the freezer between batches. Continue with all the dough. Enjoy!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
More cheese, please. It’s cooled off, so Elliot’s upped his accessory game.
Fall-style ice cream and apples by the bushel.
21 thoughts on “Nutella Stuffed Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies”
These cookies definitely bring all the boys to the yard! Love that filling!
Oh My Goodness! These sound amazing! I may just have to make them and deal with the gluten dairy issues! Although, I wonder if I could use GF flour? Do you know Megan?
I love love love the recipe yield on this! I mean, you could make 2 dozen if you want tiny cookies, but let’s be real. Gigantic, thick, chocolatey cookies are the only way to go.
So nice to hear you’re feeling like yourself lately – that’s a good feeling to have! I’ve made these cookies before and they are LEGIT!
A made similar cookie last winter, but I’m SURE yours is one zillion times better. That last shot with the Nutella oooooozing out. GAH!
Glad you’re feeling YOU again. I know that feeling myself currently. Mwah!
Everything about these cookies is alright with me, especially that lovely sprinkling of salt!
Sweet, fancy Moses. These look so good.
Ugh, fine, I’ll call out “sick” so I can go home and make these. Twist my arm.
I’m so happy you’re feeling like you again! And cookies are the best way to celebrate! A secret nutella pocket inside of a warm cookie, whoa.
Love this post, not only because you’re feeling back to your old self but also, COOKIES WITH NUTELLA. <3 <3 <3
The sea has plenty of salt to go around especially when it’s for cookies! I love everything about this post and these giant cookies. Glad you’re feeling back to normal!
Giant chocolate chip cookies made with brown butter and stuffed with Nutella sound pretty top notch to me, but I’m even more stoked that you’re feeling like you. Life is good when things feel right.
These cookies look incredible! Nutella-stuffed? There’s no way these aren’t delicious! Also, I really enjoy your writing style.
I kept thinking about this post yesterday for some reason. It’s the chocolate chip cookies thing and how you feel compelled to try ALL THE RECIPES. That’s me with chocolate cake. I’m totally on the hunt for the perfect, dark, dense chocolate cake. Still haven’t found it. But there are lots of recipes out there to try still 😉
this is cookie poetry and i love it!!
Hooo boy that is one amazing cookie! So many flavors to love…especially nutella. That is the best.
Just because is a perfect reason to make these cookies!
So my husband came home from the store with a jar of nutella, and to keep myself from eating it by the spoonful, i realized I could finally make these cookies! He says they are some of the best cookies Ive ever made, so thanks!
So if I make these and freeze them, how would I go about defrosting them to keep the taste and texture as well as possible?