I’d like to spend January hibernating and waking up to warm bread. I want grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch every day. Preferably with smashed avocado, mozzarella, and goat cheese. And this bread makes awesome toast. It’s perfectly sweet with honey or maple syrup. For this particular loaf I used a brown sugar and maple syrup combo.
So, I hope your weeks are full of warm bread and the best toast. I hope you never run out of honey and that your weekends are brunch-filled!
Mom’s Wheat Bread (makes 2 loaves)
Revisited from this post
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 (1/4 oz) packages active dry yeast
- 1 T salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 T butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- In a large bowl whisk together 1 cup all-purpose flour, all 2 1/2 cups of the wheat flour, yeast and salt. Mix well.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat the milk, water, honey/maple syrup and butter until warm, not hot. (about 130 degrees). Add to flour mixture. Add egg and stir until moist.
- Add the rest (or most) of the all purpose flour (2 1/2 – 3 cups). When mostly mixed, pour contents onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is compact and all bits are incorporated.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and put the dough in, flipping it over so it’s greased on top. Cover with a light towel and allow to rise 1+ hours, or until double in size.
- Pat dough down and divide dough in half between two greased bread pans.
- Allow to rise again in bread pans until just peaking over the top of the bread pans, about 40 minutes to an hour (depending on how warm the house is).
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, until the top is nice and dark and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven and brush the top lightly with butter and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
These pups were barking at me for bread!