My mom’s love for biscuits has passed on to me. Like her, I make these willy nilly. Late night snack? Sure thing. Saturday breakfast? Yum.
These biscuits taste like an after-work snack or like a weekend miracle. They taste especially good right out of the oven, with a nice little crunch. They taste dreamy for a couple days, but I doubt they’ll last that long.
I recommend throwing these together while you’re waiting for beef stew to get done simmering, or when you’re so starving and on the verge of crabbiness. They make days better and nights more fun.
Mom’s Baking Powder Biscuits
Recipe adapted from a phone conversation + scribbled recipe card
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 4 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t cream of tarter
- 2 T sugar
- 1 stick (8 T) butter, cold and cut into squares
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the egg and the milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tarter and sugar. Cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients using two forks or a pastry blender until there are no pieces bigger than a pea.
- Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spoon. Turn the bowl over on a lightly floured surface. Knead a little if the flour is trying to jump ship.
- Pat into an inch high dough round an cut out using a biscuit cutter, placing the biscuits on the prepared baking sheets. Use up all the dough, even if you have to have one silly-shaped biscuit hanging out in the middle.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are golden. Eat immediately with honey or jam.
I really love biscuits and honey.
This is a teeny grainy picture framed in the bedroom. Jake and I were at Cracker Barrel, on the way home from Chicago, four years ago. We were both wearing green and I was eating biscuits and honey.
13 thoughts on “Mom’s Baking Powder Biscuits”
I love honey and biscuits, too! Honey anything, really. If I’m baking with honey, forget about it, I’ll have had 2 or 3 spoonfuls while I’m in the kitchen, haha. The biscuits look delicious!
These taste like home, don’t they? Ryan was just asking for bistuits yesterday. Your timing is impeccable!!!
Love the pic of you and Jake! 🙂
Me too, Sydney! Can’t get enough honey in my life. 🙂
OOh they totally do, Sally. Ryan has good taste.
I LOVE..LOVE these… hot from the oven.. with melty butter.. and that is enough for me!!
Biscuits with honey are the best! Especially just out of the oven.
I agree Mum, they are totally dreamy.
Dana – honey is my most favorite. 🙂
I love the adapted from a phone conversation and recipe card – those are the best recipes 🙂 I was just planning on making biscuits this weekend – good timing!
I agree Megan. Most of my favorite recipes are scribbled on ripped paper and lack instructions. 🙂
OMFG this looks so great! i’ve been looking for a new biscuit recipe for thanksgiving. I’ve totally jumped off the bandwagon and miss all my favorite blogs. all your stuff is looking really good and I still can’t get over your kitchen table, love it!! keep it up lady!
Thanks Ozzy! I’m so glad you’re back. 🙂