Sometimes I get impatient when I have to wait until Tuesday to watch Law and Order and sometimes I get impatient eating dinner when there’s dessert. I usually get impatient about breakfast as I’m going to bed and I was really impatient about trying one of these muffins right out of the oven.
I ran out of kosher salt right after I ran out of patience … I might have used sea salt in these out of desperation. I wouldn’t recommend it though. Sea salt grains are just too big for baking. Now I know.
Despite the sea salt, these guys are tasty in that chocolate + coffee way and they sparkle in the turbinado sugar + magic way.
Recipe from Baking Bites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup + 2 T sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 1 T instant espresso or coffee (I used coffee.)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 milk
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (milk or semisweet)
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling and sparkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 12 up muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl melt butter and stir in cocoa powder and instant espresso/coffee. Allow to cool for a couple minutes. In a 2 cup measuring cup whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla. Add both the butter mixture and milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. The batter will be thick. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between the 12 cups. It’ll feel like too much batter, but don’t worry, they will be pretty and not touching or anything.
- Bake for 19-22 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of a central muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack so you don’t burn your mouth on the melty chocolatey goodness.
Just some hip Mocha Muffins coolin’ out bein’ cool.