I often worry about my next meal.
At night, I get nervous if my cereal box is getting low. I sit at work trying to think of what I can make for dinner, and I hope-hope I have something good to make. So, with that said, I took care of a few lunches in advance today.
These guys are so cute! They are like quiche-cupcakes. And they are perfect sandwich substitutes for your lunch. Put two in there in place of a sandwich, or maybe just one and a salad.
Don’t fret if you don’t have spinach and sun dried tomatoes on hand. Use what you have! Toss finely cut veggies and cheddar cheese in these guys. Just make them. Rest at ease knowing you have your lunches made for a couple days.
Recipe adapted from A Bowl of Mush
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt and sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter (cubed)
- 3-4+ T ice water
- 1 cup diced baby spinache
- 3/4 cup diced sun-dried tomato, in oil, drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 7 eggs
- 3 T milk
- Season to taste: I used basil, salt and pepper (I recommend being generous with the seasoning; it makes a big difference!)
- Pesto! (I didn’t have any on hand, but if I did, these would’ve been even better.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make pastry: Mix flours, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add cubed, cold butter and rub the butter and flour between your fingers until it has all crumbled together finely.
- Add ice water a tablespoon at a time until you can knead it together without it crumbling.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each into a small circle that will fit inside muffin tins.
- Press each circle into the muffin tin, and prick the bottom twice with a fork.
- Make filling: dice spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and crumble goat cheese. (If you have pesto put a thin layer on the crust first.) Sprinkle spinach over the crusts evenly between the muffin cups. Top the spinach with an even amount of sun dried tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all 7 eggs, 3 T milk, salt, pepper and basil to taste. Pour into a measuring cup with a lip for easy pour-ability.
- Pour or spoon egg mixture just to the rim of each quiche. Top off with crumbled goat cheese, and additional salt and pepper if you want.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, turning half way through baking. Remove from oven when eggs are set and firm. Allow to cool for a minute or two before using a paring knife to loosen and remove quiches. Cool on a wire rack.
- Bring for your lunch!
2 thoughts on “Lunchbox Quiche: Baby Spinache + Sun Dried Tomatoes + Goat Cheese”
These look gorgeous,I’m so glad you liked the idea. They’re great lunches!
Love the sun dried tomato substitute 🙂
Thank YOU for coming up with such a cool lunch option!