I couldn’t stop thinking about these brownies. I can’t stop listening to this song. I can’t stop wearing cowboy boots. I couldn’t hold out about turning the heat on anymore. I can’t eat these for dinner, but I want to.
And these brownies are a turning point. I successfully made caramel sauce! Caramel generally intimidates me. I’ve burnt it before. I’ve made it too firm, too soft, it’s just been wrong. But this recipe is fool proof! I promise!
Oh, and these brownies are super indulgent, but the truth is you can’t have too much of a good thing, right? Too much love? Too many puppies? Too many vacation days? Too many pairs of boots?
Coffee Marshmallow Brownies with Salted Caramel
Recipe inspired by Hungry Girl Por Vida, brownie recipe adapted from here
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar (I used a mixture of light + dark)
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 4 large eggs
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks
- coffee marshmallows (recipe below)
- salted caramel (recipe below)
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Butter or spray with cooking spray, the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish; cut a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom of the pan so that it overlaps the two longest sides. (You’ll be able to lift out the brownies with the parchment paper later on.) Press into the greased surface.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, and chocolate. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. If the chocolate is not softened continue to microwave at 10-second intervals, removing before completely melted, stirring until smooth.
- Beat eggs and vanilla into the melted chocolate with a wooden spoon. Beat in the flour and salt. Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle with bittersweet chocolate chunks. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, 35-40 minutes. When they’re all done, turn the oven off and sprinkle the top generously with coffee marshmallows. Pop back in the oven for 5 minutes or so, until the marshmallows melt into the top. Drizzle with caramel sauce. Sprinkle with additional marshmallows, if you want. Once cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and lift out with the parchment paper.
No candy thermometer required!
Recipe from Chuck Hughes
- 4 t or 2 packets powdered gelatin
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup very strong coffee
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 T confectioners’ sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 T cornstarch
- Lightly spray a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray. Bloom gelatin in water for 10 minutes. Meanwhile heat the coffee and sugar together until it boils. Allow to boil for 1 minute. Add gelatin and stir until mixed. Beat with an electric miser until lightened in color and voluminous. Mix in the vanilla extract. Spread into prepared pan and dust with powdered sugar. Allow to set for several hours before cutting and rolling each piece in a mixture of cornstarch and powdered sugar.
Candy thermometer required…
Caramel Sauce (makes about a cup)
Recipe from Baked Explorations via Blissful Eats
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 t fleur de sel
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- candy thermometer
- Combine the sugar and corn syrup with water in a medium saucepan, stirring carefully as to not splash the side of the pan. Cook over high heat until a thermometer reads 350 degrees F or until the mixture is a dark amber in color, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat, and slowly add the cream, and then the fleur de sel. Whisk in the sour cream and set aside to cool.
- Drizzle over marshmallowy brownies.
YAY! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Elliot was feeling left out so I held him while taking some of these photos.
16 thoughts on “Coffee Marshmallow and Salted Caramel Topped Brownies”
What yummy looking brownies…..but what a gorgeous looking pup! He’s got such an expressive face! Salted Caramel is now on my make list for this weekend….
Aw yeah! He’s such a good listener too! <3!
And yeah man, you need this caramel in your life and weekend for real.
never too many puppies, boots, or crazy brownies. wise words, girlfren.
We just understand each other!
Sinful. I neeeeeeed these brownies.
Yeah girl. Totes true.
& That new Tegan and Sara is total kitchen music.
YES! Let’s dance to it and make marshmallows, ok?
I’m On It!
I sort of love the words willy nilly. And they are best used when referring to marshmallows.
I <3 Elliot 🙂 He's an amazing fuzzy nephew.
You just know, pants. And yes! He’s quite the gentleman.
Uff da. So much awesome in one tiny package.
HOLY YUM! These look and sound incredible!! I’m allll about some good salted caramel! Dip it in a dirty sneaker…I’m 98% positive I’d eat it. Recently came across your blog–LOVE!