Yesterday I ate some of this cake on my lunch break. I sampled that jam-covered slice before making a salad. Balance, right? And last night I judged some desserts. I might’ve eaten 10 desserts before dinner. Oh jeez. I’ve got a problem. I think I’m ok with it though.
This cake is brownie-esque. It’s super chocolate-y good. And it’s the kind of cake that you can make willy-nilly on a weeknight! One bowl, one pan, one hour, one dream. And if you serve this with jam, or whipped cream and berries, it takes this loaf cake to a fancy level. Treat yo’self, ya know?! Let’s make desserts on weeknights so they feel like the weekend, ok?
Chocolate Thursday Cake (makes 1 loaf)
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325F and spray a (9x5x3-inch) loaf pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper by cutting out a 9-inch wide rectangle and overlapping the longest sides with it.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, beat until mixed, then the buttermilk and vanilla. Don’t worry if the batter looks broken at this point. Sift the flour, cocoa, and baking soda, baking powder, and salt right into your wet ingredients. Stir together with a wooden spoon until mixed, being careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60-70 or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. allow to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, and then cool completely before wrapping up in plastic. Feel free to serve with jam and powdered sugar. Enjoy any day ever!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
This week has been all about: Trader Joe’s flowers, spring salads, bikini pant mis-match success, and dressing up to judge Girl Scout cookie desserts. What’s your week been like?
10 thoughts on “Chocolate Thursday Cake”
I love willy nilly week night cakes! I actually did the same thing a couple of days ago–made an oaty chocolate loaf cake. It was so perfect to munch on for breakfast and dessert… and lunch and dinner. Yeah, so I’ve had a lot of cake this week. Anyway, this looks wonderfully rich! And that bathing suit is super cute btw!
Thanks, girl! Yum! Love oats and chocolate. Sounds good to me.
I love that this cake can stand by itself without frosting. I must admit, I’m not much of a jam fan, but will try it with powdered sugar. Looks great!
Yes! It doesn’t need that many accessories, for real.
“One bowl, one pan, one hour, one dream.” <—-awesome The cake looks so good, but with strawberry jam, dang girl!
Love that jam on anything. Can’t stop won’t stop. 🙂
I could totally use chocolate cake every night of the week! I could also use it every morning of the week too. Cake for every meal!
Yes! It’s cake for any and every single day!
Hells yes. I will eat cake any night of the week! This cake looks so chocolate-y good!
PS. Cute bikini!
Yes! It’s brownie-esque for real. And thanks! Now I just need beach weather. 🙂