Last weekend, my Mom came to visit. She brought me snazzy parfait cups that I totally remember her making blue jell-o in when I was a kid. She even put a gummy shark in there for scary-swimmy-tasty goodness. Talk about awesome.
Instead of jell-o, this time, we opted for mousse. And when I found this recipe on the kitchn, I knew it was the one I was dreaming of. It has all of my favorite things: chocolate, olive oil, sea salt, maple syrup, and coffee.
We only had one day together, so we made this mousse in the morning and put it in the fridge to set up while we went to fun stores.
We came home for lunch, took pictures, and sampled this chocolatey goodness. … and then we sampled some more. We really loved it.
We learned that sea salt makes chocolate extra tasty and chocolate bows make mousse extra ladylike.
Did you know that my mom’s really good at salt-sprinkling?
Chocolate Mousse with Olive Oil and Sea Salt
Recipe adapted from the kitchn
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 T freshly brewed, strong coffee
- 2 eggs, thoroughly beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla
- pinch of kosher salt
- sea salt to serve, I used Pink Himalayan
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave until smooth. It took us 1 minute and 15 seconds at 20 second intervals. Stir in the olive oil and coffee.
- Meanwhile, Beat the eggs and milk together for 1 minute. Place the egg mixture in a blender* or food processor with the maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Blend to combine. While the blender is running slowly drizzle in the chocolate mixture until incorporated. The final result will be frothy and smooth.
- Divide between four 6-ounce ramekins or 5 willy-nilly cups, like we did.
* We beat the mixture using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. It set up most of the way, but I’m thinking maybe if you use a blender it’ll set up even better!
10 thoughts on “Chocolate Mousse with Olive Oil and Sea Salt”
I loved my day and time with you.. you are the tastiest!!!
It was the most fun!
How adorable – you are so crafty! This reminds me of the Modern Family episode where Manny’s girlfriend gets Gloria to sprinkle a little salt in her chocolate milk and she pretends to not like it but she really loves it. Sweet and salty is really the way to go.
haha I haven’t seen that episode, but I think I’d really love it.
That mousse sounds fabulous! So sweet that you and your Mom spent the day shopping and baking. That’s my kind of Mother-Daughter bonding!
Thanks Shelley! And it really is the best kind of mother-daughter fun!
that looks absolutely amazing. i have to bookmark the recipe 🙂
Justine – You might love it so much you’ll want to marry it. Just warning you.
yum! i love sea salt + chocolate! i also use valentine’s cups and dishtowels all year. hearts are all season.
I’m so glad you understand the love for all things heart-covered.