If I had to say a moment I’m most proud of in my life, I’d say it’d be the time I made this bread pudding … and then tried to put it in a pie pan. And then it overflowed everywhere and I didn’t freak out. Instead I poured it in a spring-form pan and crossed my fingers that the layers of bread would be hip and cool like they were at first.
Oh yeah … Are you hiring for a bread-pudding-spiller and not-freaker-outter? Do you pay in bread pudding? Awesome. I’m in.
You might just want to double this recipe and instead put it in a 9 x 13 inch pan like Real Simple intended. I bet it’ll fly out of that pan and into 8+ bellies before you can say, “Chocolate bread pudding is the cure for the common breakfast.”
I’ve been daydreaming about this all week, and it is just as good as I imagined! Here’s the proof: after taking one blurry picture of the piece I cut, I stood in the kitchen and ate it while gazing at the remaining chocolate pac-man.
Never had bread pudding before? Make this and eat it standing in your kitchen.
Chocolate Bread Pudding
Recipe adapted in half from Real Simple
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 T butter
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 a loaf of white bread, crusts trimmed (about 7 pieces)
- whipped cream, for topping
- Whisk the milk, eggs and sugar in a medium saucepan. Add the butter and chocolate and heat over a low heat, stirring only until the butter and chocolate melt. Stir in vanilla.
- Lightly coat a springform pan with cooking spray. Arrange the bread slices in the dish, overlapping. Pour the chocolate sauce over the bread.
- Cover with plastic wrap or with foil sprayed with cooking spray. Place another baking dish on top to weight down the bread. Set aside for 1 hour to allow the bread to absorb the sauce. (Can be made up to this point 1 day ahead. Refrigerate until bake time.) Heat oven to 325°F.
- Remove the top baking dish and plastic or foil. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until set (35-40 for a double recipe in a 9 x 13 inch pan). Serve warm with whipped cream.
This is the part of the night where Elliot judged me.
5 thoughts on “Chocolate Bread Pudding”
Oh, Elliot! Things turned out all right in the end didn’t they? I am of the opinion that bread pudding is the best food on earth. Strangely, I’ve never tried a chocolate one!
I want this in my belly right now. Too bad I have to go to class. Later… defiantly later.
haha Beckie, I love that you started your comment to Elliot. 🙂 I need to get more bread pudding in my life. What kinds are your favorite?
Oh yeah Jenna! You should totally have this for dinner.
Every Thanksgiving I make an apple croissant bread pudding for dessert. My family DEMANDS it. It’s pretty unhealthy so I try to make it strictly for holidays only, but it’s darn tasty 🙂
ooh, that sounds REALLY good. 🙂