As my friend Darren would say, “This cake decor gives me life.” It really does! I mean, I knew I wanted to bake with blood oranges since they’re the super hottie of citrus, but when I stirred it all together it looked like when you mix all the slurpie flavors, combine every watercolor paint shade, try to wear all your nail colors at once. Kinda gray/green/sick/gross.
I mean, it reminds me of the time I went swimming and then didn’t have time to wash my hair the next day before work so I put on super bright lipstick. These sprinkles + bedazzled goodness is the lipstick in that story.
I mean, who knew blood oranges could make a batter match my new lil army jacket so perfectly? Who knew it could look like swamp, but taste like a dream? I guess we should just eat this cake in the dark or try to disguise it’s weirdo color with all the festive cake toppers you can muster. I mean, it’s just so ridonk! I should’ve used those oranges as a glaze. Powdered sugar wouldn’t have let me down the way science did right here. BUT at the end of the day this stuff is good. So there’s that! And it’s casually vegan. So that adds some boom to the shaka laka we’ve got here.
Blood Orange Quickbread (vegan)
Recipe adapted from Veg Recipes of India
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup turbinado cane sugar or granulated
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- zest from 4 small blood oranges
- 1/3 of a cup of slivered almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch. In a 2-cup measuring cup, stir together the juice, almond milk, sugar, coconut oil and zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed. Transfer to the prepared pan. Sprinkle with slivered almonds and sprinkles. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Lift out of the pan using parchment paper. Cool completely. Serve with some mad bedazzling.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Elliot got a Barkbox! Heart carbs.
Heart honeycombs. FRY love you.
6 thoughts on “Blood Orange Quickbread (vegan)”
Ah, who cares about appearances! It sounds delicious anyway 🙂 Love that it’s vegan!
Well, I think this cake is perfectly adorable. Any baker knows that blood oranges do this sort of thing. I know it’s still got plenty of boom in the shaka laka.
maizey (my pup) got the abominable/adorable snowman in her barkbox too! she destroyed him in about .2 seconds though, haha
Let’s not judge a bread by it’s color! Made this and it’s so delicious
Blood Orange Quickbread ! It sounds delicious. 1st time hear about this going to try this thanks.