I’ve been napping at inopportune times. Well, I guess they’re kinda opportune. (Is this even grammar?) I napped mid-blog post. I napped post-cookie, pre-tattoo washing in mismatched socks, with Elliot wedged between me and the back of the couch. I think it has to do with this whole daylight being saved thing, hibernation, and also just that somehow I’ve gotten really good at sleeping. I’d be a fool not to pursue something I’m good at, right? I’d hate to quit while I’m ahead!
About these pizza photos: After the prosciutto I topped it with olives and mo beets because 3x the beets is what you want.
But enough about napping and olives and my socks. Jessica from How Sweet It Is is having a BABY. And she’s got mad style, and loves all things pink (like me!), and is downright sweet, cool, hip, and we’re all up on Pinterest together repinning all of each other’s sequin this and glitter that like total BFF. I hope I get to meet her in real life and dat baby when the time comes. So this pizza is me saying: CONGRATS, JESSICA! OMG! You da bomb, and I’m so excited about things! Yay babies! Yay, you!
Roasted Beet Pizza
Recipe adapted from Baking Illustrated
beet dough fo sho –
- 1 small beet, roasted
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 envelope yeast (rapid rise or active dry)
- pinch of sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water at room temperature
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil + 2 T for beets and pepper
- 4 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 t salt
beet goat cheese pesto –
- 1 small beet, roasted
- 5.5 oz. goat cheese
- beets, roasted
- roasted red pepper
- crispy prosciutto
- kalamata olives
- Drizzle 3-4 beets with olive oil and wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet in a 450F oven for 40-60 minutes, or until softened when poked with a fork.
- Measure warm water into a 2-cup measuring cup. Sprinkle with yeast and sugar. Stir to mix and then set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Puree the beet with 1/2 cup water.
- Add the beet water, remaining cup of temperature water, and oil and stir to combine.
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (Or stir together with a wooden spoon and some muscle and pour on the counter to knead.) Briefly combine the dry ingredients and low speed. Slowly add the liquid ingredients continuing to mix until a cohesive mass forms. Stop the mixer and replace the paddle with the dough hook. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Form the dough into a ball, and put into a large greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise until double in size, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, puree a small beet with the goat cheese and set aside.
- Place your pizza stone in the oven and heat the oven to 500° for 30 minutes. Place a boing sheet in the oven and roast a red pepper by rubbing it with olive oil and roasting for 20-40 minutes, rotating until charred. When cooled remove the skin, seeds, and stem. Chop to top the pizza. Crisp up prosciutto in a hot cast iron skillet, chop to top the pizza.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Freeze half in a gallon freezer bag, or make two pizzas right way.
- Form the pizza by using your fingertips to stretch the dough into a circle., flattening the middle and pushing the dough out toward the edges to make the crust. Get your pizza toppings out and have them ready.
- Carefully remove the pizza stone from the oven and sprinkle it with corn meal. Place the dough round on the stone. Top with goat cheese and beet pesto, mozzarella, red pepper, olives, and beets. Place back in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the entire pizza lifts when an edge is lifted with a spatula. Remove from the oven and slide onto a cutting board. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Repeat if making two pizzas.
Yay! Click HERE to find a pdf of the recipes above.
Check out everyone else who contributed after the jump!
trashed up salads
- Gimme Some Oven – Asian Broccoli Salad with Peanut Sauce
- The Lemon Bowl – Brussels Slaw with Tahini Dressing and Za’atar Crostini
- With Style & Grace – Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon
trashed up cocktails
- Dine & Dish – Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
- Food For My Family – Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Minimalist Baker – Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshakes
- Stylish, Stealthy & (sometimes) Healthy – Apple Cider Shandy
- A Spicy Perspective – Preggy Punch Mocktail
- Girl vs. Dough – Boozy Maple Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Honestly Yum – Maple Bacon Pisco Sour
- Cookin Canuck – Pink Grapefruit Margaritas
- A Thought For Food – Mezcal Citrico Cocktail
- A House in the Hills – Pomegranate Rosemary Spritzer
- The Novice Chef – Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider
- Bran Appetit – Citrus Cider Punch Floats
trashed up burgers
- Edible Perspective – Meatloaf Veggie Burgers with Mashed Potatoes + Gravy
- The Little Kitchen – Salmon BLT Sliders with an Avocado Aioli & Brie
- Daisy At Home – Balsamic Beef Burger with Mac and Cheese
- Cookies & Cups – Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
- Climbing Grier Mountain – Trashed-Up Steak Burger with Chicken Fried Bacon & Dijon Gravy
- Dessert For Two – Bleu Cheese Burgers + Sweet Potato Fries
- Country Clever – Fig Rosemary Roast Chicken Brie Brussels Sprout Panini
- Foodie Crush – The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Lady and Pups – Spicy Sambal Chicken Meatball Sub with Eggs
- Two Peas & Their Pod – Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Bake Your Day – Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
trashed up tacos
- Spoon Fork Bacon – Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- The Fauxmartha – Boozy Beef and Butternut Tacos
- With Food + Love – Harvest Hash Breakfast Tacos
- Mountain Mama Cooks – Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos with Bacon
- Heather Christo – Bahn Mi Tacos with Spicy Sriracha Honey Sauce
- A Couple Cooks – Loaded Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Fitnessista – San Diego Lobster Street Tacos
- Bakers Royale – Trash’d Street Tacos
trashed up desserts
- Table for Two – Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
- My Name is Yeh – Mini Vanilla Loaf Cakes, All Trashed Up
- Picky Palate – Pumpkin Spice Butterscotch Sprinkle Cupcakes
- Sprinkle Bakes – Cake Batter Confetti Cupcakes
- Averie Cooks – Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Sweet Phi – Trashed Up Shortbread Cookie Bars
- Love & Olive Oil – Loaded Junk Food Brownies
- Lauren’s Latest – Bakery Sugar Cookies
- Cookie + Kate – Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourishing Foodie – Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- The Sugar Hit – Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake
- Hummingbird High – Breakfast Cereal Cake Donuts
- Top With Cinnamon – Triple Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Crumb Cake
- Bake at 350 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sundaes
- Simple Bites – Lemon Layer Cake
- Bakerella – Baby Block Cake Pops
- She Wears Many Hats – Chocolate Covered Grapefruit
trashed up pizza
- Bev Cooks – Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
- Rachel Cooks – Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust
- Foodie With Family – Trashed Up Barbecue Turkey Pizza
- Shutterbean – Pesto Potato Bacon Pizza
- i am a food blog – Grilled Cheese Pizza
- My Life as a Mrs – Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
- Simply Scratch – Steak + Blue Cheese Pizza with Crispy Fried Shallots and Honey Balsamic Drizzle
- The Beeroness – Beer Cheese Tater Tot Pizza
- Yes I Want Cake – Roasted Pumpkin Pizza
- Two Red Bowls – Bacon Mashed Potato Pizza
- Dula Notes – Pork Bahn Mi Pizza
- Weelicious – Trashed Up Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Take a Megabite – Roasted Beet Pizza
- Hungry Girl Por Vida – Hard Cider Braised Pork with Sour Cherries and Cheesy Polenta