I ate one of these out of the freezer when I discovered it late last Wednesday. Sometimes after a night of lady chit chat and hanging out and having many drinks and a teeny amount of dinner and eating a truffle at the bar, you just need a little whoopie pie monster night cap? Or maybe that’s just how I lived last week, and that’s coo with me.
I know I promised to post these two weeks ago. So, what the heck, right?! My middle name is NOT false promises, so I’ll totally try to keep things real in the future. Basically, tho, these are real good. Baking with avocado is the new banana. AND they’re scary green, or cute green, but mostly hell yeah green! Give’em a go!
Avocado Whoopie Pie Monsters (makes 1 dozen)
Recipe adapted from I Am A Food Blog’s Avocado Bread
whoopee pies –
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- scant 1/4 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1 avocado
- 1 t-T lime juice
- 1 1/2 t matcha powder, optional
- 1 vanilla bean or 2 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar + more for topping
- monster eye sprankles
- 1/2-1 cup cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Puree the avocado, lime juice and matcha powder in a food processor. In another bowl, cream together the vanilla, butter and sugar. Add the avocado mixture and beat until combined. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Using a cookie scoop place 24 dollops on the baking sheet. Dab your finger in water and then in the sugar. Gently press down on each cookie dollop. Place 2 candy eyes on half of the whoopee pies.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Make the filling by beating together all of the ingredients. Add powdered sugar as needed to thicken.
- Divide up the whoopee pies, pairing the by size (one with eyeballs, one without). Place a tablespoon of filling between lil cakes. Sandwich together. Enjoy! Chill for a few days to prolong freshness.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.