I like to heat this up on the stove all casual-like in my favorite tights/dress combo. It pairs well with Pinterest perusing, recipe planning, BFF chit-chat, pup hugging, fireside hanging, record listening, neon nail painting and pink moccasin slipper wearing. You see, not to get all new years resolution-y on you guys, but I think I need to get my self-care in order. And this hot cocoa (and all those pairings) are helping me do just that.
So give yourself a compliment sandwich, warm up some cocoa in your favorite outfit, plan a party, cut yourself some slack, don’t ask anyone’s opinion, like what you like because you like it, and don’t bother sharing these 3-4 servings with anybody, ok? (Unless you want to and then please do! You’re in charge of your life and your hot cocoa. Believe it! I bet you didn’t think this recipe would be chock full of metaphors and lady power did you? Me neither!)
Almond Milk Spiced Hot Cocoa (Makes 3-4 servings)
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise or 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- Bring milk, cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean and nutmeg to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean. Whisk in cocoa powder, dark chocolate, sugar and salt. Whisk until foamy. OR alternately use an immersion blender to mix completely. Strain if necessary. Serve immediately warm. OR chill and reheat as needed for up 5 days.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
I’m 30, and I feel so alive. // Tofu Bahn Mi, hell yes.
Elliot is my sunshiny bff. // Veggie Taco Brother Brunch
9 thoughts on “Almond Milk Spiced Hot Cocoa”
Definitely loving all that spice in here. Yum!
Oh man, this sounds so good on this chilly day. I forgot to tell you that your pic from Rose’s Fine Food is the prettiest!! How did you like it?
Almond milk makes the BEST hot chocolate, right? I love your coat and Elliot looks like he takes the sun time seriously, right?
Your posts always make me feel so happy. I need to get some of this hot chocolate into my life, stat.
Love it — both recipe and surprise metaphors and lady power! 🙂
heck yea! a big mug-o-spiced-hot-chocolate cheers to a lady power filled 2015!
Mmm… so comforting 🙂