I made these a couple weeks ago. Since then, I’ve felt good, bad, tired, awake, tipsy, distracted, worried, fine, super happy, super anxious, lucky, weird, cold, hot, fast and slow. I invested in high-waisted pants because what if I died tomorrow?! I’d want to die in cute pants. I put some nail business on my credit card, ate sliders like cookies, drank pink wine, bonded with my mom, bought a “werk it” bracelet, slept to pass the time, and had worrisome dreams where my favorite antique store closed and I cried. So things have been happening! But right now, at this moment, in this second, things are good and great and ok and cool and I can’t wait to get ice cream tonight with Elliotto (since it’s his birthday).
But about these cinnamon rolls. This vegan remix of my mom’s cinnamon rolls is JUST as good as the buttery ones. It’s just as good as the one with real eggs in it. It’s freckled with flax meal and nobody’s mad about it. Make them! Love them! I have total confidence in you being all, “What’s the problem with eating vegan for awhile if you can eat cinnamon rolls, ya know?!”
(I’m not vegan, but I like to eat vegan now and then to get back on track, ya know? And I promise you I won’t eat things that are totes gross, so it’s cool and fine, and hell yeah.)
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe adapted from my mum’s recipe
proof the yeast –
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 t sugar
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
dough f’sho –
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup boiling water + 1 cup cold water
- 2 flax eggs (2 T ground flax meal +4 T water)
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
roll up in it –
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- generous amount of cinnamon
- Whisk together 1/2 cup warm water, 1 t of sugar and 1 package of active dry yeast in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes, until all puffy and bubbly. Meanwhile in another small bowl whisk the flax meal and water together to make flax eggs.
- In a large bowl stir together 1/2 cup sugar, 1 t salt, coconut oil, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup cold water and flax eggs. Add yeast water, and lastly flour. Stir, stir, stir. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the fridge over night, or 8 eight hours.
- Prep pans by grease one 9×13″ dish and one 8″ cake pan or a few cake pans.
- Place the dough on a LARGE floured surface and roll out (until about 1/4 inch thick). Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with brown sugar and cinnamon. Rub into dough. Roll up, slice with a serrated knife and place in prepared pans. Cover with a towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile turn the oven on to 350 degrees F and bake the rolls for 22 – 30 minutes, rotating positions in the oven. Drizzle with glaze (recipe below) while warm. Serve!
This recipe makes this many swirly twirly dreamz.
Almond Milk Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 2-3 T almond milk
- generous sprinkling of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Whisk together 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar with vanilla, cinnamon, salt and 1 tablespoon of almond milk. Add more sugar + almond milk until it’s a thick pourable glaze. Pour over warm rolls. Serve!
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Today is Elliot’s 10th birthday! Can you even believe it?!
9 thoughts on “Vegan Cinnamon Rolls”
Need to get on this recipe riiiiiight now!! These look heavenly!
Cinnamon rolls reallly are just great all the time, right?! Happy birthday to Elliot, he’s looking handsome as ever!
Yaaaas!!! I have a serious cinnamon roll love affair going on right now and need to add your vegan ones to the mix 🙂
Elliot might be the cutest birthday doggie in the world…..AND I might love cinnamon rolls a little too much. Can you love something sweet too much?? Nah!
I’m going to stack these up and put candles in them as a breakfast birthday cake.
Happy birthday to Elliot and I love the new blog look!
Oh my gosh! I love the new look, and the cinnamon rolls are mighty fine!
Also, Elliot is everything. Everything!
These are delightful – that almond milk glaze is just a straight up good idea.
Oh yes! Love that you put extras in little muffin cups–super cute. The site looks great too!