A few years ago a girl told me about black bean brownies and I thought it sounded real cray. Like how can that be a thing?! But during my lil vegan phase after New Orleans I gave these a go. I loved them so much that I didn’t even share them! Instead I put them in the freezer and ate them at my leisure for days.
These will help you believe in magic and dreams because they are a fudge-y miracle of a brownie. They taste like riding in your new car listening/dancing to Nicky Minaj. If that’s what you’re into. (I am.)
P.S. I bet they’d totally twerk gluten-free. Sub that flour. Comment and let me know if you do! XO
Vegan Brownies of Your Dreams
Recipe adapted from Kitchy Kitchen
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 T flax meal
- 6 t coffee or water, cooled
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 big pinch kosher salt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
peanut butter fudge –
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 – 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 T almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line an 8-9 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.
- Prep the flax egg by placing the flax meal with the water or coffee in your food processor. Pulse a couple times then allow to rest a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth or mostly smooth. Stir in half of the chocolate chips. Transfer to the prepared dish. Top with remaining chocolate chips and sprinkles. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the center is set. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make peanut butter fudge by beating together the peanut butter, powdered sugar and almond milk until the consistency you’re going for. More almond milk for a glaze or less for a frosting/fudgier sitch. Pipe onto the brownies or spread on top. Chill*, slice and serve.
*Slices are much prettier after the brownies chill a bit.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
Elliotto + my profesh laptop // Taco cleanse
Homemade vanilla // Zinnias for life
9 thoughts on “Vegan Brownies of Your Dreams”
But… there’s no flour in this recipe…which looks so bonkers that I might try it, even though I am kind of opposed to baking with beans since my chickpea “cookie dough” experiment proved that chickpeas totallywreckmystomach.
Finally, a brownie I can feel good about stuffing in my face!
I love bean brownies! Those are prettttty.
Ok, I’ve been hearing about this phenomenon for a while now, and I’m totally intrigued! I HAVE to try these.
I just love that excess of sprinkles 🙂
What if I don’t have a food processor big enough to handle all of this? Can I do the flax step in the food processor, maybe puree the black beans separately in the food processor as well, and then put the pureed beans + flax/coffee mix + rest of the ingredients in my mixer with the whisk attachment? Do you think that would work? I also have an immersion blender, if that may work better. Help! I want to make these!
You can totally puree the beans and then use an electric mixer to wiz it all together! I have a pretty tiny food processor myself, so I feel your pain! I hope you make these tho, they are a dream.
Oh, oh, oh! I’m going to give these a try next time the brownie urge strikes, which should be in about 10-15 minutes. Thx!