Today I had that hot fudge sundae for lunch.
I’ve been sick since Thursday. But I know I’m finally getting better because I did all the dishes, took pictures of ice cream, and then ate it for lunch.
And this ice cream is super creamy and tasty. Jake and I made sure of it by sampling it right out of the ice cream maker. So just make it! And then top it with hot fudge or put it in some root beer and bring some summer to this winter.
Vanilla Ice Cream
Recipe from The Perfect Scoop
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 t vanilla extract
- Warm the milk, sugar and 1 cup of the the cream, and salt in a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the warm milk and add the bean as well. Cover, remove from heat, and let steep at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pour the remaining up of cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Put the vanilla bean into the custard, add the vanilla extract, and stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the fridge. When ready to churn, remove the vanilla bean and freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
One bowl, a microwave, and a dream.
There’s nothing tricky about this hot fudge. It’s simple and tasty and ready in minutes.
No Nonsense Hot Fudge
Recipe from a text from my mom
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 stick (4 T) butter
- 1 cup+ semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Place all of the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 20 second intervals until everything is melty and combined. Place on the counter and by the time your ice cream is scooped it’ll be thick and perfect.
Hot fudge sundaes in winter? Oh yeah.
15 thoughts on “Vanilla Ice Cream + No Nonsense Hot Fudge”
GREAT lunch! And especially great that you are feeling some better..ice cream and chocolate will do that ! I love YOU!!
Hmmmm.YUM! Perfect treats for our summer days!
Mum – I’m glad you approve!
Ellie – Perfect for all year around, I’d say. 🙂
Year round ice cream is the way to go. Snow shouldn’t deprive a person of the deliciousness that is ice cream.
Glad you’re feeling better. Hot fudge sounds like some good medicine.
Lovely hot fudge! I’ve a question. How long will the hot fudge stay good in the refrigerator? Will it harden in the fridge?
Thanks! It’ll stay good in the fridge for about 2 weeks, I’d say. And it will firm up in the fridge. Just simply re-warm it in the microwave before serving!