Is it possible for there to be cake with a graham cracker crust? Is it bad that questions like these are always going through my mind? Ugh, I wish I had Willie Wonka’s digits.
Until that cake thing happens, rest assured knowing that brownies with a graham cracker crust is a really good idea.
Oh! These would be an awesome dessert for a picnic or BBQ or any fabulous outdoor food-filled party you’ve got goin’ on this holiday weekend.
Honesty, I think these could only get better sitting in the sun. Is that gross?
S’mores Brownie Bars
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (made rom 10 rectangle crackers)
- 12 T unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup + 1 T sugar
- 1/2 t kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 t instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 3 cups mini-marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Cut two 16-inch pieces of foil and line an 8-inch square pan, allowing excess to hang over the sides. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crush graham crackers in a sandwich bag with a rolling pin or in a food processor. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and pour over the graham cracker crumbs. Stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir until all of the crumbs are moistened. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Melt the chocolate and remaining 8 tablespoons of butter, in your microwave, stopping to stir every 20 seconds. It takes about a minute to melt it all. Transfer to a larger bowl and stir for about 5 minutes, or until a little bit cooler.
- Mix in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, espresso powder, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the flour and baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter over the graham cracker crust in the prepared pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Transfer to a cooling rack and top with marshmallows.
- Adjust the oven rack to the upper third position and heat broiler. Broil until marshmallows are golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Cool in pan 1 hour. Using foil, transfer directly to wire rack and let cool completely, at least 1 more hour. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve. It works best to use a sharp knife sprayed with cooking spray because those marshmallows can be sticky jerks.
My sink is half full of a rainbow.
9 thoughts on “S’mores Brownie Bars”
I want these in my mouth right now!
oooooh gurl, you need these!
s’mores brownies!?! i once made s’mores cupcakes with a graham cracker crust, it can totally be done! and, ps…I live in Michigan now!
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about cupcakes with graham cracker crusts. Whew! Now I don’t have to wonder. 🙂
Yay! We’re basically neighbors!
I’ve heard that s’mores are a new “trend” but I don’t think that they ever went out of style!
I agree with you. They are a forever trend, like blue jeans. 🙂
Oh wow! I mean seriously wow. My mouth is watering just looking at them. I wonder what the English equivalent of Graham crackers is… You know we say Graham like Gray-ham, weird
P.S. I bet Digestive Biscuits would be a hip and cool substitute.
I love these!! I found cutting the slice with scissors was an easy way to master the marshmallow stickiness 🙂