Sometimes I’m informed of rules I had no idea existed. Like how root beer should NEVER be served over ice. It’s disrespect. And once as a kid I tried to order rice and mashed potatoes as side dishes, but my grandma said that I couldn’t get two starches! Now I eat breadsticks AND pizza. Oh man. What am I doing with my life?
But when it comes to rosemary there are no rules! It’s the perfect addition to savory and sweet alike! It’s awesome in cookies or on roasted mushrooms or potatoes or on bread. It’s got skills. And in these cookies it’s magic! Trust me.
Lemon Rosemary Shortbread (revisited)
Recipe adapted from Eat Boutique and here
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter (6 oz.), room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 t lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1 1/2 t chopped rosemary
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Mix until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk flour and salt together. Slowly add this to the butter mixture, mixing until completely incorporated. Add the rosemary and beat until evenly distributed.
- Shape the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/4 inch thick. Cut with a small cookie cutter and place on an ungreased cookie sheet about an inch apart. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, rotating half way through. They will be just golden around the edges. Watch them closely, since they can bake quickly at the end.
Yay! Click HERE for a printable pdf of the recipe above.
My BFF Alex is a brewer extraordinaire! He let me help make root beer*!
*I promise not to drink it over ice.
15 thoughts on “Lemon Rosemary Shortbread (revisited)”
I always pour root beer over ice…amateur hour!
Rosemary is just one versatile lady. I heart these!
ha Right?! Root beer floats galore, but no ice allowed.
I love it! Thanks for the shout out! xox, Maggie
Anytime! These guys are one of my favorites!
I totally agree about root beer, who doesn’t pour it over ice?! p.s. these treats look so so good!
Right? Thanks, girl!
Pour your root beer over ice cream instead! I need to make these cookies, sound yummy =)
Exactly! I have vanilla ice cream on my weekend agenda.
Cutest shortbread! Hearts, X’s and O-mg’s for the win!
I can’t wait to just float around!
Yes! Floatfest 2012. Floatapalooza. Floatland.
I love these! They are super adorable!!!!!! And I love rosemary on anything, which is a DOUBLE BONUS!!!!!!! If you don’t mind me asking, what is the setting on your camera you use the most… I am teaching myself to take above average pics, but I’m not a great teacher… Thanks! – nerdwithtaste.wordpress.com